BeSafe lights - (not only) esk8 lighting system

The module, lights, or both?

if so, please support up to 18/20s :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Both. Is this designed for a certain led strip type or could it be a different one? How many lumens +/- do you get from your setup?

I guess Iā€™m for a thread for that, I like the functions of the module and the possibility of customizing led strip housing/mount so as to fit perfect my board and taste :wink:

2 Likes

Itā€™s using Arduino fastled library, so it supports all of the strips that the library does (more than enough :slight_smile: )
I did not calculate the cost of anything, but the module could be around 20$ and the lights even less (WS2812 led strip from AliExpress, some 3d printed parts and an aluminum profile). Iā€™ll guess less than 10$ for single light.
I can try to measure the light intensity but Iā€™m not sure how accurate is the lux measure function on my multimeterā€¦

3 Likes

I really do hope for a tutorial :smiley:

1 Like

Quite a long time again since the last updateā€¦

The module is still functional after 2 months of living in my mtb batt case so thatā€™s the first success. Still developing the code so a lot of functions are missing, but the communication over BLE works great, and Iā€™ve not experienced any connection issues.
Here is a short screen record showing the appĀ“s visualization of receiving packets from the module:

The app works on devices with Android 6+ (lightly tested) aaand supports dark/light mode switching :smiley:

Some demos of possible animations

ā€¦just to mention, I ended up second with this project in a high school electrical engineering competition, so I received some financial support to help me develop this :smiley:
Looking forward to this being in ready to ship to testers stage. Not sure how big impression the video makes but in real life especially at night the lights combined with some animations look amazing :smiley:

11 Likes

Sweet, canā€™t wait to get one :slight_smile:

1 Like

This looks awesome! Did you use any libraries in particular to code this, or was it done from scratch?

The LEDs are driven by the FastLED library. Making the code from scratch would be very time consuming and inconvenient when the library has hundreds of useful functions and supports a wide range of led types

3 Likes

Quite a while since the last post :slight_smile:
the project didnā€™t die, itā€™s getting better
Thereā€™s still a lot of work for the app but the hardware might be close to the final version for now. I made another version, calling it the ā€œV0.3ā€, a list of added things is:

• moved the ESP32 microcontroller to sit flush with the edge of the PCB and added a cutout under the antenna for better signal performance
  • moved the XT30 connector closer to the edge of the PCB - when the module was in itā€™s case and the connector was plugged in, you couldnā€™t pull it out without pulling by the wires, now the edge of the connector is sticking out
  • increased impedance on the PPM inputs by adding a opamp - for minimalizing the risk of interfering the signal and causing an unwanted brake
  • added a status LED - you couldnā€™t tell if the module was functional or not on the previous versions, now it shows different processes such as booting, sending/receiving data or just running
  • added a replaceable fuse - in case a short on the output happens
  • added a CAN transciever - for communication over CAN which all VESCs support, still needs to be made functional in software
  • a few visual changes such as moving text or rounding the PCB edges

I also have a few points for the V0.4, but no plans on realizing for now:

• adding the ability of measuring voltage and current and showing these values in the app
  • adding protection against reverse polarity
  • galvanically isolating the outputs with optocouplers - fast enough optocouplers for the LED strip signal (800kHz) are pretty pricey
  • adding an IMU - for alarm functionality - when alarm mode enabled, the lights will show a simple animation and when triggered, signal that along with the sound of an external piezo buzzer

An example of a new feature in the app - this color bar changes color depending on the connection state of the module (red - disconnected, green - connected), so the user knows if the module is still connected everywhere in the app; original idea was to have a simple colored dot, but I did not want to look like copying from the metr app

And this is how the V0.3 looks

The case is printed with transparent flexi filament, the light is not as focused as I wanted it to be but not a big deal

5 Likes

Also, I made a simple website mainly for the app to download firmware .bin files from - besafelights.eu

1 Like

now we talking. Havnā€™t really dug into how the CAN msgs work but Iā€™m guessing you could just listen for the break bits to turn on braking lights, this also separates the state from the remote to the actual ESC.

Adding RPM features and so on should be possible too.
Sure you could make the entire board blink red based on pack voltage too etc.

Might also want to add some transient suppressors into the design. (could be part of the polarity protection f.e)

2 Likes

how does this compare in functionality to TTL?

1 Like

Sorry for the late response, wasnā€™t here for some time now. The project is kinda paused now because of college, but I am definitely planning on getting back to it. Now to answer your question:

TTL is pretty expensive, I am aiming for half the price of TTL max. Also my module is made specifically for adressable led strips and for now, does not support features like horn which TLL does.
I donā€™t feel like thereā€™s an alternative to TTL at this time. Flipsky module is a thing but I doubt you have any kind of long term support. BeSafe could be for people that want simple lighting with led strips you can buy for cheap on aliexpress and customize as you want.

To sum it up

• buy TTL if you want a complete solution and donā€™t mind paying for it
  • buy BeSafe if you want your specific parts and do the electrical side mostly on your own

I am looking forward to being able to sell these modules, but still a lot of work has to be done, will post updates here when significant progress would be made :slight_smile:

3 Likes