Bending an existing deck?

Hmmmm… Louboard?

2 Likes

Heat and water? I don’t know man this is also the recipe to delaminate plywood. If it wasn’t plys laminated, steam or hot water bending would be a good choice but on plys, it is risky.

4 Likes

Oooh that’s a really good point to consider

2 Likes

Who made that killdozer like deck by cutting out another deck? Maybe try that?

2 Likes

I am not aware of any practical way of bending a premade deck… but I’ve added a kicktail to a flat deck before by glueing a block of wood to the tail of a deck and then grinding it down with an angle grinder fitted with a flap disk. It looked kind of like the NeoOne deck.

3 Likes

That’s what I did there too, time will tell if it holds up.

6 Likes

Looks really good. Fiberglass it and I bet it will work just fine.

3 Likes

Fiberglass is a good idea afterwards like tomiboi said. I guess it mainly depends on your weight, use (terrain and vibrations) and such before it would break. I would be worried about de-lamination and fatigue of the layers… but I also don’t make decks. If it’s just a kick tail, it should be just fine seeing as that’s mostly cosmetic.

2 Likes

Cut up everything and see if it works. and If it works, heroic Macgiver. If not, you scienced one for the team.

3 Likes

I have a feeling that any heat/steam/water enough to bend the laminated veneers would compromise the veneer layer bonds…

EDIT… like others have mentioned…

3 Likes

If I was told I couldn’t add a kick tail to a deck, I’d use dog hair, epoxy, and newspaper and do it just to say I did.

3 Likes

I printed this kicktail handle out of nylon-X and screwed it to a deck…

5 Likes

@kook I’m a believer. Let’s skate.

I’m out to conduct some epidemiological surveys in 1-2 hrs

2 Likes

I’m off to strafe zombies it the neighborhood till sunset… we’ll skate soon!

ride safe…ride fast… take ridiculous chances…

2 Likes

Our kinda peoples.

1 Like

Thank your guys
I know it’s probably a bad idea, but for science, I’m gonna try sream and clamps
Wish me luck :sweat_smile:

1 Like

4 Likes

i did it this way some time ago…

…worx pretty well for me :smiley:

3 Likes

its true. You can bend the shit out of veneer over some hard angles with the use of softener.

but you’re not going to bend plywood and expect it to stay, if it even bends without cracking. Once the glue is inthere, its done. That’s why plywood holds its shape to begin with.

2 Likes

Huh? You can bend plywood in most imaginable ways if you kerf it properly. Knowing what you’re doing and proper use of wood glue/reinforcement after the fact is of utmost importance tho.