Bending an existing deck?

Hello

I’m trying to do something while I’m locked down.
I have an useless deck that I would like to turn into a short kicktail board.
Is there a way to bend an existing deck to add a kicktail?
:stuck_out_tongue:
If not, any way to add a kicktail?

3 Likes

only way I saw someone do this is by gluing/screwing a tail to the deck.
Bending the deck after is has fully cured will not be possible.

6 Likes

If you do attempt, soak the deck in warm water for a while before hand and bend in small increments in a vice, letting it dry between big steps.

5 Likes

To add to that, heat will also help soften the glue and make it easier.

4 Likes

Thanks gonna try hot water , we’ll see where it goes!

3 Likes

The best would be to have a mold to clamp the board to when it dries, to get its shape
Hot water, not just warm, perhaps not boiling but close should be good

2 Likes

Sure, I’ll clamp the hell out of it

2 Likes

Alternatively to a mold, you could clamp to a bench and hang weight off the end you want to bend.

1 Like

@longhairedboy loves his wood conditioner on his veneers

but bending plies that have already been bonded together with wood glue? not so sure

paging woodworkers @glyphiks and @tomiboi

3 Likes

Thats what I have in mind (some may spot the inspiration)

5 Likes

Hmmmm… Louboard?

2 Likes

Heat and water? I don’t know man this is also the recipe to delaminate plywood. If it wasn’t plys laminated, steam or hot water bending would be a good choice but on plys, it is risky.

4 Likes

Oooh that’s a really good point to consider

2 Likes

Who made that killdozer like deck by cutting out another deck? Maybe try that?

2 Likes

I am not aware of any practical way of bending a premade deck… but I’ve added a kicktail to a flat deck before by glueing a block of wood to the tail of a deck and then grinding it down with an angle grinder fitted with a flap disk. It looked kind of like the NeoOne deck.

3 Likes

That’s what I did there too, time will tell if it holds up.

6 Likes

Looks really good. Fiberglass it and I bet it will work just fine.

3 Likes

Fiberglass is a good idea afterwards like tomiboi said. I guess it mainly depends on your weight, use (terrain and vibrations) and such before it would break. I would be worried about de-lamination and fatigue of the layers… but I also don’t make decks. If it’s just a kick tail, it should be just fine seeing as that’s mostly cosmetic.

2 Likes

Cut up everything and see if it works. and If it works, heroic Macgiver. If not, you scienced one for the team.

3 Likes

I have a feeling that any heat/steam/water enough to bend the laminated veneers would compromise the veneer layer bonds…

EDIT… like others have mentioned…

3 Likes