Bench Test Results: Lishen LR2170SF - 13.5A 4500mAh 21700…decent performer, has bottom vent

Test Report Summary: Lishen is one of the large, established cell manufacturers in China (http://www.lishen.com.cn). This is a decent performing cell, about equal in performance to the Lishen LR2170SA at 5A and 10A. If staying above about 3.2V at 10A this cell is close to the Samsung 50E3 (not 50E!) but at 5A the Molicel M50A beats it by a little. They’re all fairly close though at 5A-10A and you probably won’t see much of a performance difference between them.

The cycle life rating in the datasheet is good but I have not tested it. In addition to the top vent this cell has a bottom vent which, in my opinion, should not be blocked or pressed against hard.

The two cells I tested delivered 4500mAh and 4539mAh. This is a little bit worse than the typical consistency I’ve seen for cells from one of the larger China cell manufacturers.

Two cells were purchased for testing by me.

Ratings graphic: https://imgur.com/a/jorNkY0

Full Test report: Bench Test Results: Lishen LR2170SF - 13.5A 4500mAh 21700…decent performer, has bottom vent | E-Cigarette Forum

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery and device tests | Patreon.

These tests only note my personal ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of property damage, personal injury, or even death. They are not supposed to be used outside of a fully protected battery pack and you use them at your own risk. Never exceed the battery’s true continuous current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

Any rating in my ratings tables can change at any time as different grade cells appear on the market, we get swamped with fakes, or new information becomes available to me. Please, never assume that the ratings in the tables are permanent and will never change! Always download the latest version before considering any cell purchase.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

12 Likes

Huh, I wonder what precautions one should take while spot-welding to the bottom of such a cell

2 Likes

Avoid the center.
Avoid the pre-weakened ring.
Do not interfere/block operation of the venting disk.

IMO that much rules out using wide strip on the bottom unless it has a circular cutout and welding only happens near the outer edge of the bottom.

3 Likes