Bench Test Results: LG M50LT - 14.4A 4932mAh 21700

Test Report Summary: This is a fantastic performing cell but please read my test report before asking any questions here or using this M50LT.

Full Test report: Bench Test Results: LG M50LT - 14.4A 4932mAh 21700 | E-Cigarette Forum

18650 Ratings and E-Scores Table: 18650 Battery Ratings Table | E-Cigarette Forum

20700/21700 Ratings and E-Scores Table: 20700/21700 Battery Ratings | E-Cigarette Forum

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery and device tests | Patreon.

These tests only note my personal ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of property damage, personal injury, or even death. They should never be used outside of a fully protected battery pack and you use them at your own risk. Never exceed the battery’s true continuous discharge rating (CDR), never let it get colder than 0°C or hotter than 60°C, and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition. Never use a battery that is physically damaged in any way.

15 Likes

How many letters are LG gonna add :joy: First the M50, then M50T and now LT.
Obviously, the original M50 claimed I think 8A, but the M50T was spec sheeted at 15, does this perform better?
Out of the options we have, which would you rate best for esk8 (taking price into account too I suppose)

• LG M50LT
  • BAK 50CG
  • Samsung 50E2 (Or i guess the 50S but they’re not obtainable at all)
  • Lishen SD
1 Like

Check the E-Scores in my 21700 table, link above. They were created exactly for this type of question. :slightly_smiling_face: If no E-Score then I have not tested it at that level. If the cell is not listed it then I have not tested it.

You’re the only one that can take price into account as some will pay anything for a few percent performance increase and others would never do that, being perfectly content with just a good performer.

2 Likes

LOL…it can get crazy. It could be variations for different clients for slightly different purposes, like for different model Tesla EV’s or similar.

1 Like

nkon still has them at 3.99€ / cell

3 Likes

I think the Samsung 50G is a pretty good cell.
If it is 5p or more, it is worth considering.

According to this month’s price list for Queen Battery, the 50S is still expensive. Still, it was $ 10 in February.

2 Likes

LOL…definitely better than the 50E (in that graph). I assume that’s the 50E1?

In my informal testing the 50G performed worse than the M50LT, N21700CG-50, M50A, and LR2170SD though. Is the 50G actually in stock anywhere now?

If it was available at a lower cost then IMO it definitely could be an option for cost-sensitive applications. Are you using the 50G now?

Yea, the 50S is crazy expensive and will probably remain that way. The M50LT gives it a good run for the money but will probably be just as hard to find.

3 Likes

Cool cell! For a 12s4p pack requiring 40a of discharge it seems like the BAK C50G is probably gonna be a better option overall

1 Like

Because of the N21700CG-50’s (probably) lower price? This cell outperforms the BAK by a touch at 10A otherwise.

1 Like

Most like price, but I must have read the chart wrong, I thought it outperformed at 10a

Just read it again and you’re right, I guess either is a good option then, depending on price and availability. I’ve definitely seen the BAK at 3.99 a cell starting price on 18650 store before

Right now its 5.99 though

1 Like

@Battery_Mooch you know if this one is the rumored NCMA from LG? I would guess no since the capacity increase isn’t that much

1 Like

Don’t know. There’s no mention of the chemistry in the datasheet to help us either.

The capacity wouldn’t have to go up for this cell to have aluminum added to it. This cell could have been designed for a particular client with specific requirements. Cycle life and/or a certain discharge characteristic (voltage curve) could have been more important than added capacity.

In fact, the customer requirements could have actually lowered the capacity of a NMC cell and so they went to NCMA to bring it back up to 5Ah. No way for us tell though.

2 Likes

I should be able to report on real world tests soon…

5 Likes

Good points, the rumors I heard is that a new Tesla pack is in the works using NCMA and will have higher energy, but nothing concrete so far

2 Likes

9p pack?

10P

1 Like

Here are ~100km worth of data with a 12S10P pack.

Data on the right is measurements put into “amps drawn” buckets.
Amps are over the whole pack, voltage sag is divided by 10 (aka per cell).

3 Likes
3 Likes

It’s too bad you need such a large P count to make these worth the $

2 Likes

Here in the EU at least, the BAK 50CG is a really nice alternative to these. I’ve built people a few 4-5P packs that work well

2 Likes