Bench Test Results: LG H50 21700 Sample…performs same as Samsung 50E3, not a “super cell”

Test Report Summary: This is a new cell and I do not know its true ratings but it performs identically to the Samsung 50E3 and a lot worse than the Samsung 50S. It is not a 25A ultra-high capacity “super cell” as reported in a couple of places.

This does not mean it is a bad cell though! The Samsung 50E3 is a great performer at under 10A, best at 5A-7A, and this cell performs well at that level too. This LG H50 should be a great option for low power use, under 20W.

The Samsung 50E is rated at 9.8A continuous and 14.7A non-continuous if you keep the cell temperature below 60°C. and that can be a guide to using this LG cell. You use this cell at your own risk though! Test the cell thoroughly before you use it and determine the current rating that best fits your application and your cycle life, performance, and safety priorities.

Hopefully I can find a datasheet soon and post the true ratings.

The two cells I tested delivered 4983mAh and 5016mAh. This is not great consistency for cells from the big manufacturers but perhaps these are preproduction samples and the final tweaks are still to be done.

Two cells were donated for testing by Vapcell (http://www.vapcelltech.com). Thank you!

Ratings graphic: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Full Test report: Bench Test Results: LG H50 21700 Sample…performs same as Samsung 50E3, not a “super cell” | E-Cigarette Forum

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery and device tests | Patreon.

These tests only note my personal ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of property damage, personal injury, or even death. They are not supposed to be used outside of a fully protected battery pack and you use them at your own risk. Never exceed the battery’s true continuous current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

Any rating in my ratings tables can change at any time as different grade cells appear on the market, we get swamped with fakes, or new information becomes available to me. Please, never assume that the ratings in the tables are permanent and will never change! Always download the latest version before considering any cell purchase.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

9 Likes