Belt rubbing against the wheel (options)

It’s cool if you want it that tight it just dosnt look like it will go any other way than straight

Also make sure to heatshrink you phase wire bullets

1 Like

I just realised that the pulleys on my 5065 motors don’t have c-clips on them, but they have been loctited to the shaft. I’m guessing that should be fine for that type of motor/pulley?

1 Like

then its fine that way

1 Like

I was planning on using electrical tape to stop them from loosening, would that work too?

I’ll definitely look into getting new brushing, I need to do a bit of reading to see what setup i need and where to get decent bushings in the uk.

Please don’t.

Get heat shrink at minimum. If you want less mess, go install MR60 connectors.

1 Like

The solution is to move it the other way, closer to the wheel. If you align the belt better it shouldn’t rub. Also turn the motor pulley around so the shoulder is facing outward, not towards the motor.

Try this:

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll give that a shot.

I am also trying to work out what brushing I need and I read in a thread that the following setup was recommended by @RipTideSports for you powell build:

front boardside: KranK FatCone 93A / flat washer (supplied)
front roadside: KranK Cone 93A / cupped washer (not supplied)

rear boardside: KranK Chubby 96A / flat washer (supplied)
rear roadside: KranK Canon 96A / cupped washer (not supplied)

WFB 96A pivots front and rear

Did this setup work for you? As you can probably guess, your old school skateboard builds were the inspiration for this one :grin:

1 Like

I tried a combination very similar to that, but I far prefer 90A (green) KranK barrels (0.6") all-around. Flat washers in the front, cups in the back. I’m 220lbs (98kg) for reference. IMHO the 96A (grey) are waaaaay too hard and I’d avoid them unless you’re significantly heavier than me. I’ve also been toying with the 87A (white) all around but they seem a tad too soft. I think 89A would be perfect for me if they carried that durometer.

I also really, really like the green 89A bushings the CaliberE trucks came with, but those are discontinued and seem to be unobtainium.

The red (90A) Venom HPF Caliber Plug might be something else to try if the green KranK don’t work out for you.

Brad has been in the game a lot longer than me though, so take his advice seriously. This is just what works for me. His suggestion didn’t work well for me very well.

3 Likes

I use green fat cones board side and green cannons road side, your better to get a tad softer and keep them tighter and loosen as you get more comfortable at carving and high speed shanangins. I’m 190 btw

2 Likes

I took the board out for its maiden voyage yesterday. It was fun but will definitely take a bit of getting used to. Loving the small form factor, torque and having a functional tail, but I really wish the deck didn’t have a kick at the nose so I could move the front truck forward to get a slighty wider stance / wheelbase. The ride feels very squirrely and I keep wanting to place my front foot just slightly further up the deck, especially when trying to keep the nose down when accelerating. Riptide bushings are in the post so hopefully they’ll help with the squirrelinesss. I’ve ready started eyeing up other decks that don’t have a kick at the nose :roll_eyes: It looks like the omakase & coyote are popular decks. @rafaelinmissouri do you know if the price of the omakase over the coyote is worth it, or is there not much between the two decks?

1 Like

The Omakase and the Coyote are pretty different.

I would only consider the Coyote as a toy set up.
And for that I think there may be even better options.

The Omakase is awesome.
Worth every penny.

And sorry I have not read through the whole thread.
But if your belts are rubbing one solution I would suggest is getting Boardnamics axles mounts and pulley.
That combo makes a great drive train.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I’d better start building my case now for how to break it to my wife that the board i rode once is not quite perfect and i absolutely need another expensive toy instead :thinking:

Would you recommend any other (cheaper) kick tail decks?

@rafaelinmissouri thanks for the deck recommendation. The wheelbase on my other board was way too short making it too sketchy to ride safely. I’ve not had a chance to ride the omakase yet, but it looks amazing.

Next I need to figure out the best way to attach the enclosure before I can get it on the road. However I just cannot bring myself to drill holes in such a beautiful deck

Long term I’ll need to find a better enclosure than a Tupperware box however part of me likes the ease of access that you get with it.
I also might look at replacing the wheels with 80-85mm’s as the 97mm wheels weigh it down and make it look like a tank.
I have a set of 83mm clones I can trial before making the decision to purchase a set of orangutans.

@b264 @Paul77 @xsynatic thanks for the bushing advice. I also flipped the pulley which fixed the belt rubbing against the wheel.

There is no space for the c-clip, but I assume I don’t need it if the grub screws are tight enough. I still needed 3 washers between the truck hanger and the wheel so the wheel nut isn’t as screwed on as others, but hopefully it should hold

Also planning to upgrade the vesc from a flipsky to eks8.de vesc, but I’ll need a new enclosure before i can do that

3 Likes

The sooner you get over this, the better.

It’s hard, but I’d much rather go have an assload of fun than try to build museum pieces for the Smithsonian.

It is tough to sink that first drill bit into a brand new deck though…

Measure twice. Stand back, mock it up, make sure nothing is backwards or upside down. Measure again. Then just drill it before you get cold feet.

1 Like

But it’s just sooo pretty :grimacing: (and expensive)

I think my reluctance comes from not having a permanent solution to the enclosure yet. So the deck might end up being peppered with holes :cheese:

1 Like

That is a really nice deck and build, ride it around for a while like that. The new will wear off and maybe by that time you will have decided on what enclosure and the drill it!!! Be safe out there.

1 Like

Awesome dude.

Isn’t it just beautiful in person.

I think it really feels perfect every time I stand on it.

1 Like

I went for a spin around the block for the first time today and I gotta say that this deck is perfect! It’s the Goldilocks of boards, not too big that it heavy and awkward to carry, and not too small that it’s a death trap to ride. The tail is just the right size making it easy to manoeuvre (even at speed). I love it! I think I’ll keep the 97mm abecs on as it rides nicely with no wheel bite.

this is a great way to put it.
what did you have to add for risers for no wheel bite on the 97s…

and I just must say it.

blue Caguamas are fucking magical…
so dream about those some…