Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

according to Telegram person I was chatting with they’ve changed it up quite a bit.

yes, early gen has the ppm port on the far right side and the SW pin is together with the uart port (the most right pin)

the latest gen has its own on/off button port on the far right side, and the ppm pin is moved together with the uart port

then u can use any mom button, wiring to short for powering on is SW+GND

1 Like

AHAHAHAHAHAAH THAT DOES IT TY WOOOOOOO YEAAAHHHHH LFG TYTYTTYTYTY (shorting SW to GND)

3 Likes

@mr.shiteside for reference:

early gen :arrow_down:

latest gen :arrow_down:

1 Like

ok I’m a bit paranoid now-
which one of these firmwares should I use? Just seems like really weird versioning and I’m trying to distinguish if I need a specific one or something or if I just use the most recent

1 Like

use 6.02 one on their website

1 Like

Yeah what frame said. The main reason I went with that was so VESC tool wouldn’t bug me to update, and there’s a kind of edge case feature I wanted to try out but that’s secondary

@zoefiri don’t forget to flash the bootloader into the vesc before flashing the new fw

2 Likes

@zoefiri RN

4 Likes

Does anyone have Hota 6 inch installed on their board?
Need diameter or circumference measurements (inflated).

I’m nervous! My Meepo broke around the time I was sending my Framework laptop in for warranty repair (they’re a rather new brand of modular laptops if you’re not aware but they’re a young company and QA isn’t amazing) and I had absurdly poor luck with that whole situation so idk to me the two are related and I’ve fully expected things to just magically not work lol.

For context if you wanna know what happened with the laptop, last september I got it with a HW bug that made it thermal throttle to 400MHz and only go back up after being powered off for an hour or so I procrastinated the warranty return to a few months ago, when I got it back the lid switch magnet was missing but when I checked for that by peeling back the bezel (it’s magnetically attached, mostly.) the adhesive tabs on the bottom cracked the display. SO I ordered a new one and it was DEAD ON ARRIVAL, so I said fuck it I have the money for it right now and I am ABOUT TO LOSE MY GODDAMN MIND and ordered a new framework but fedex had it “in memphis” for two weeks when it had really never left Taiwan so I got it quite late and the trackpad worked- but did not click! Anyways I transplanted the input cover of the display-less framework into the new Framework and now I have a fully working laptop. woooooo.

1 Like

The hurdles you went through… wow. Hopefully your board gets sorted out soon. Lots of good folks here chipping in with info. Good on you all.

2 Likes

Is the Flipsky VX4 copmatible with the MakerX D100s? The VX4 gives options for VESC4 or VESC6 but the D100s says its based on VESC100250. Not really sure how all this VESC stuff works I haven’t touched one yet.

1 Like

yes

the only difference is the jst connector that they ship with since v4 and v6 have different pin count on the uart port. for d100s u need to choose v6 option

cumpatabul*

Most of the decks I would like to electrify are very low on the ground, drop-throught, and I personally hate risers.
To avoid ground clearance problems (or to mount the batteries/esc on the deck) is it possible to:

-Use one such deck as a positive mold to make a new 5 mm thick deck using carbon fiber/glass fiber sheets.
-Use a vacuum bag/ 0.9 bar vacuum pump to reinforce such a structure and ensure maximum mechanical stability
-Add 1.5/2 cm of maple /glass fiber sheets under such a structure.
-Make space for the installation of the electronics by removing part of the layers of maple/GF sheets
?
I realize this is overcomplicated, but I do not have access to a mechanical press and would like to replicate the geometries of the deck in the most precise way.
Has anyone done something like this before?
If so what are the pros and cons?

Cost, time and effort are all pretty high.
Result will likely be pretty stiff which will change the ride feel. @glyphiks current thane build, Frankendick, is similar to this.

3 Likes

Can confirm, it’s suuuuuper stiff. But its going strong and it was a fun project. Crazy amount of work tho.

And the only thing i don’t really like about it is how high it rides… i want it loooowwww :rofl:

very inspiring reading, I don’t know how I couldn’t notice it :+1:

1 Like

Heya- not too familiar with vesc stuff but I got everything setup in vesctool and the remote and motors work! That being said, I don’t get any speed readings :thinking: (or anything in the dial/dashboard UI in vesctool). Google hasn’t been very helpful on this but I might just be kinda stupid. Anyone know what I might be getting wrong?

1 Like