Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Can anyone give me a download for vesc tool 5.03? 6.00 and 6.02 are the only ones I have and I can´t find a legit way to download old versions of vesc tool.

Direct download for tool 3.01 with 5.3 Firmware

https://forum.esk8.news/uploads/short-url/tOPL7hqXC3iutOZ3UEBSPhctdDt.zip

Thank trampa for removing our archive.

Other option is to use the built in archive. Should be available in the 6+ vesc tools in the firmware tab in the top row “Archive” or something.

2 Likes

Thank you

I’m not on a computer to check but is there a mac version of the older VESC tool in that zip file? I’d like to make all traces of 6.0+ go away on my MacBook

unfortunately not, just checked

1 Like

that file is specifically Windows.

Even in our old archive there was no mac version. (rarely at least)

I have Mac versions of 3.00 and 3.01. I’ll DM you.

edit: nvm I only have 3.00, which is FW5.2

1 Like

5.2 is cool, thank you :+1:

@AlexB Dm’d you with the zip for 3.01/5.3

1 Like

Alright, anyone got some tips for applying grip tape? I’ve got it all lined up pretty well, just need to trim the edges at this point. This is where I usually struggle and end up settling for some sloppy looking edges. It’s extra difficult to get a clean edge because I’m also using some 1/8 inch adhesive neoprene padding.

My usual strategy: use something rigid like a file to crease the grip tape along the edge of the deck, then tear/cut away the excess slowly. Generally I’ll tear it off at the crease (if the griptape is being cooperative) and then go around with a knife to clean it up.

Any/all advice is appreciated. I have some razor blades, but I feel like they get dull so fast doing this type of stuff. I usually end up grabbing an old kitchen knife or something.

Bruv, the screwdriver trick works like a charm. Don’t use a file. U just run a screwdriver along the edge a bunch and you get pretty clean lines. And then some higher grit sandpaper on a block for the finishing touches.

3 Likes

Run a screwdriver along the edge to get a nice crisp line, then run a razor blade along it at 45deg to get perfect edges.

2 Likes

what size pelican case do I need to fit a minimum 14s4p to 14s6p, can it be done in a 1200?

1200: 16s6p if u 18650, idk about 21700

1 Like

Non staggered you can fit a 8x10 brick in it.
More if you get creative and put cells on top of the brick.
I about maxed it out with 12s8p p42a

In theory a Nanuk 904 holds a 14s4p 21700

Anybody know of a 7" tyre alternative in EU besides Trampa and Evolve?

How hard should it be to get press fit kegel pulleys onto a wheel? feels damn near impossible to get the things fully pushed in. I tried removing a vary small amount of material from the pulley but it doesn’t seem to be helping at all, so I figured I’d ask on here before removing any more from it.

Mostly because it is a pain in the ass to only remove a small amount at once to the point where I’m about to just shave more off with my dremel. The pulleys are easily replaceable but the wheels aren’t so I’m not even going to try making the holes bigger on the wheel.

what pulley & wheel combo?

Some generic kegel push fit pulleys from Mboards and then the fancy aluminium wheels from the retro rider wheel group buy thing. Which is why I don’t want to try making the holes bigger.

They start in just fine but need way too much force if I were to get them fully pushed in. I haven’t tried the pulleys on other kegel wheels though because the only other kegel wheels I have are in a hot garage that I don’t want to be in currently

1 Like