Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Has anyone every used 21700 NESE modules for P42a 12s6p & top mounted it for electric mountain board before ?

@rusins maybe, I don’t think NESE is always going to be the best choice for mtb because of the bouncing and orientation of the pack

I was never worried about over heating anything. Just don’t have a heat gun. A high powered hair dryer can get it hot enough to loosen red loctite If and only if you use the recommended amount of loctite. I’ve never had problems doing it that way before but also I did kind of completely coat the set screw in loctite and also put loctite down the hole for the set screw.

I did manage to get one out by using your method of leaving the allen key in while heating it with a mini torch lighter.

The motor pulley had a slightly wider hole than the other one. So I had to really tighten down the set screws and use way too much loctite to keep them in place compared to the other pulley. I ordered a replacement so I could just swap it out if it managed to loose the set screws again which it already did once.

sounds like you should a) acquire a heat gun or torch that’s actually able to melt the loctite and b) stop using high temperature loctite on places where it’s not necessary.

2 Likes

Hmmm maybe. Honestly thought it shouldn’t be a problem especially if snug fit. Was hoping someone here have tried it out before. Kinda getting tired of soot welding lol

I’m using the LLT smart bms with my 10s3p battery pack (P26A cells). The battery percentage in the app is totally out of whack. I do know I can get about 24 km range out of the pack. My question is: What approximate voltage corresponds to what approximate percent of the battery. I know I could install a simple Battery meter. but I don’t want to put unnecessary holes in my enclosure. Also I’m not really versed with soldering ect. The battery is N.E.S.E. and a friend helped me with soldering the other connectors. Also I think I set the cutoff voltage in the vesc at 33-31V and in the bms app at 40,5 V. Not totally sure…have to check when I’m home. :sweat_smile:

The LLT BMS only tracks current so the % indicator only works if you use it as a discharge BMS

If you have something that uses the ESC like a METR it will use voltage to give a percent

1 Like

The percent indicator can work without discharge you just gotta tune the values for the display in the LLT app

1 Like

Full is 42 volts, empty is 25-30 volts. In between is not linear, but say 37v is maybe 50%.

Large error bars on that statement. Don’t strand yourself.

1 Like

Do you need the Android version of the app to do that?

I don’t think so?

Hmm, for the life of me I can’t find anything to set it to use voltage instead of amp hours

I’ve never figured out how to do this either. my app always shows high 90s for battery percentage

It’s at the very bottom where you can tell it what voltages to use for percents in the android one

2 Likes

There are so many settings in that app, and I fiddled with all of them, it works for a while but than it just stays stuck on 100 % or 43% or some wired number.
I’m using Android, for the record, maybe Iphone app is better idk. I’m especially confused by the cell number value. How are you supposed to know which is for serial and which for parallel.

Ok. I know that part of the settings. But how does the app know that? or do you have to set the values manual? And how do you figure that our. Can you just calculate it? Say I charge the pack to 41 V so than this is my 100% that is straight forward. My cutoff is handled by the vesc and is set to 33 V cutoff start - 31 V cutoff end. Which voltage is than 0%? 33 V or 31 V? It’s all a bit confusing to me. Plus the curve is not linear right? is that an good enough approximation?

You have to set it manually, and your cell count should be your s count.

Ya linear is good enough but you can sqeue it so the bottom is faster if you want

I’d set cutoff start as like 10 or 5 % and then end at 0

1 Like

I would love to get a METR but looks like there are no more units in stock. Maybe something similar or better will come along soon. :slight_smile:
Is someone willing to sell their METR? :smiley:

1 Like

Going to try to try my hand at replacing these caps that snapped off… Does this look like a match? https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/rubycon/80ZLH390MEFC16X20/3564406

1 Like

Those match and look solid AND that brand is what i have used to replace bad caps on my mobo (newegg sucks now lol). Can’t break it if it’s already broken

3 Likes