Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

flip the orientation of the pot?

1 Like

Reverse the two outer wires on the potentiometer. That will make the remote operate backwards.

2 Likes

did this and now it’s not turning on. damn I feel cursed.

Are you sure it was the outer wires on the pot? They may not be the outer wires on the connector or solder pads. You want the two wires that if you measure the resistance across them, the resistance does no change when you move the potentiometer.

1 Like

It’s got red, black and white, I swapped red and black which were the 2 outside wires.

yaaaaaaaaaaa you don’t do that🤣
you just fried your receiver

red is 5V (in this case)
black is ground

you shorted it

1 Like

Fuq. Now I gotta buy another $25 remote. And wait on shipping. Ugh. I’ll definitely get 2 or 3 this time.

I gotta remember to take advice here with a heaping spoonful of salt…

I apologize, the only remote I have hands-on experience with the guts of is a GT2B, which has a regular old analog pot, and if you swap the two outer wires (the bias, not the wiper) then it just works backwards.
If the remote instead has a hall sensor instead of a variable resistor, and those are definitely polarized - you can not swap the polarity on those without letting the magic smoke out.

I assumed that your remote was one with a regular dumb pot.

1 Like

Afaict it is, there’s no hall sensor I can see

when i meant flip the orientation, i meant physically turring it 180° around

3 Likes

To be fair, having pictures of the remote probably would’ve helped and prevented it from happening :man_shrugging:t2: :man_shrugging:t2: :man_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

Also @poastoast FWIW I didn’t swap black and red on the reciever, I swapped it on the 3 leads from the potentiometer inside the remote. Black and red were the 2 wires on the outside.

Really weird, I can’t quite figure out how that killed the remote. I’m not doubting you or anything, just not sure how it went that way.

Would you mind putting a meter across the two pot pins swapped and measuring the resistance while at rest, and at both extremes of travel?

With or without power to the remote? I don’t think I can do “with” right now…

Without, and preferably without the pot wires attached to the remote (I want to measure the pot alone).

1 Like

Gotcha, at least [de]soldering is something I can do without messing up. I’m omw home right now will report back in like an hour.

1 Like

That’s the spirit!

1 Like

5kOhms in all 3 positions

what about the white? That makes it seem like it’s just a 5k pot and you’re measuring across the whole thing and the white will be the wiper. If that is the case then swapping the red and black definitely shouldn’t have ever caused an issue so something else probably happened.

1 Like