Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

When it gets past 42v the cells seem to go out of whack and the charger just stops due to cell
Over voltage . I’ll take it for a spin tomoz though and see how it gets on.
The charger is from Ali express .

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EyrWhNh

I feel like a beginner coming back to esk8 after 2ish years. A lot has changed but not so much at the same time.
What’s got me baffled is the choice of wheels and tires available. I’m swimming in options and don’t even have a clue what to get.

Mad v2s? Cloudwheel rovers? Etc etc
What’s the stickiest skate wheel of choice?

Last time I was around the ice blue torque board wheels had just came out.

2 Likes

These.

MAD wheels are a real game changer in grip and comfort.

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s just too far out of balance to balance fsr. Seems like a .1v should be totally within any balance bms’s ability to work out though. Does it get way off on the top of the charge and do you have a smaller charger (lower amperage trickle charger) that you can use to balance the pack? It may be that the big boi you have is just hitting the cutoff voltage too fast to allow the bms to do its work. If the pack was at 95%soc and was off by .1v it could take most of a day to balance automatically if you have some big p-groups.

1 Like

Tips are appreciated :sweat_smile::sob::sweat_smile:

You tried your best!

2 Likes

I did read that, and watched the videos thrice each :sob::sob::sob:

I mean i want to blame the milwaukee iron, but im pretty sure its 90w?

Rough days, might just buckle and buy a pre made wire :sweat_smile::sob::sweat_smile::sob:

This is cold:

use another connector plugged into the xt90s to sink the heat and keep everything straight if it does get a smidge too hot -

use a chisel tip not a pencil tip and let it get hot

pretinn both sides but not gobs of solder, just just enough to wet it and no more.

Have both the wire and the connector held in a vice or helping hands type thing -

use lots of solder paste flux -

use leaded solder, anything from home depo or Lowes is gonna suck and basically ruin your joints, it’s seriously trash it is from harrus

Don’t breathe the smoke, it’s not the lead as much as it is the flux and all the goodness.

When placing the iron, add a little solder to help it transfer the heat, get it hot and add any more solder to make it fully wet out and saturate it, then remove the heat. This should take a second and not much more. If it’s taking longer your iron is too small/weak/ or the recovery time is too long and insufficient

Once you get it, you get it so don’t give up yet - good luck

3 Likes

I’ve only got the mega 20 amp charger . I suppose I could buy a cheap low amp one to see if it makes a difference.

Pecos suggested a lot of good things. I soldered with a “35w” iron for years and did plenty of excellent joints.

Chisel tip, proper tip tinning and pre tinning of the tip with solder, Flux, and constant pressure / heat can get you good stuff

This is unleaded btw. However, it is high quality Kester 63/27 stuff

4 Likes

So filthy, this work bench speaks to my melon heart

IMG_1361

Could be in my house

2 Likes

Haha this is a removable piece of wood that I solder on

The other 10% is the real magic, eh? :thinking::joy:

1 Like

Woops lol I meant 37

3 Likes

Did… did you take the board from my house??? I wouldn’t have noticed unless you had mentioned it.

1 Like

Does anyone know what the name of this charge port is? I need to buy the other side of it

kinda reminds me of one of those keyed LP16 or LP20. Caliper tells me it’s LP20

NOT EXACTLY IT BUT:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005006116359577.html?src=google&aff_fcid=4a61ebef4a574a76aa521576a98ce314-1714778939014-09871-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=4a61ebef4a574a76aa521576a98ce314-1714778939014-09871-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=2e04ac2a88f64a8db78b36184a609ebb&afSmartRedirect=y

if you just need the charger end it’ll work

1 Like

It’s a cnlinko for sure but I can’t tell the size.

1 Like

Thanks!

it’s LP16. the one side does measure 20mm ish like you show. and LP20 looks different.

2 Likes