Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Send noods

Erm… I might have cut off the xt90 and spliced on an already wired up xt60 because the ESC had an xt60. Did I just fuck everything up?

1 Like

Oh. It’s supposed to have LEDs on it light up when you power it on. God fucking damnit yeah no I’m fucked I fucking hate myself.

what the hell did I do wrong??? fuck. I thought I was gonna be able to get around again but I guess not.

1 Like

Did you connect the button and try to turn it on yet? No power button=no shiny lights = no vroom

And chill, it will likely be fine :wink: No shit stains or popped caps i can see in your blurry picture - just inrush charging the caps. It’s a big toy so it has a serious draw. Get anti spark connectors (xt90s) and make sure it is the last connection and you’ll be fine.

You can slap it together without it but expect to kill the connection(connector will literally burn up and not connect anymore) after only a few cycles. Best to just do it right.

(Edited because i was accidentally a dick)

@zoefiri

1 Like

Show us photos of the connectors on the battery and esc.

5 Likes

Where is the black wire connected?

Is better to know than to think. I know batteries are hard because you can’t turn them off during service. One way to be sure is to put a DMM from ground (B-) to the red wire and make sure it’s the highest voltage reading you can find. Should be about 106.2V for that battery.

1 Like

Not unless you made a different mistake while doing this

The ESC has big capacitors, when power is connected for the first time they charge up very quickly. This sudden rush of current almost always produces a spark, it’s a bit unpleasant and can char the connector. XT90-S connectors have two stages, so the first <1 second isn’t just a straight connection to the battery, but through a small resistor that limits that spike at the start. It’s called an antisaprk connector because we’re a creative bunch

Sparks and pops are not necessarily catastrophic. If however you wired the new connector backwards then yeah that’ll be bad. Do you have a multimeter? Check the battery voltage to confirm which side is positive and negative. Then check the connector on your ESC, it looks like the ESC lead has a red and black cable going to the board. Red is positive, make sure that lines up in the XT60 connector with the positive you identified on the battery

2 Likes

Don’t be weird, I don’t think you’d say this to someone with a man’s name

2 Likes

:rofl: I thought their avatar was Tom from Tom and Jerry. True story.

2 Likes

Hahahahaha very fair, my brain immediately registered it as Tumblr fan art without realising there was a person in it

2 Likes

Looked like an egg to me :sweat_smile:

Plug the power button in. The pop is normal. That’s current inrush since there’s no precharge resistor

2 Likes

Weird is all i know

Edit: Ok so i need a reading comprehension lesson, didn’t even read the name/avatar. I made an assumptions and forgot what i said could be offensive. Sorry

1 Like

I know where the black wire is connected I just don’t know why it’s producing the extra .3v. Everything is connected as in this diagram.
“I think connecting” to the last balance wire as I did where the blue circle is is causing this.

I do get 106v with DMM from ground (B-) to the red wire and checked that before connecting it.

I’ve never seen a battery behave this way when charging and think somehow through increased resistance or something of using the small balance wire it’s causing this. Taking it all apart to rewire is a pain but I guess I’ll have to do that.

Yeah, the it’s red to red and black to black all the way to the battery. I’m starting to wonder if it’s actually the Meepo switch not working here for some reason so I bought a new one and it’s arriving later today. Fingers crossed :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Oh did you just plug a random switch in? Yeah that might not work

2 Likes

Where’s the switch that came with the esc?

1 Like

Was chatting with someone in the local Telegram esk8 group and just realized that it was supposed to come with one… it didn’t. Man I am gonna fucking lose it goddamnit like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I already missed the entirety of late summer over this shit and the weather is about to just go completely dogshit perma-rain until like the end of March probably, the ESC took like 2 or 3 weeks to get here that button isn’t gonna arrive in time by the time I can get them to send me one. Fingers crossed that I can just use the button the flipsky antispark uses idk.

Does anyone know what kind of button I’d need for the DV4s? I’ve heard that it’s kinda hard to say because they’ve been changing that stuff up a lot recently.

1 Like

@frame probably knows

1 Like

You could try grounding the NC pin, their site says for at least some of the ESCs they used normally closed and the picture has an NC pin

1 Like