Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

idk, it’s already August. Maybe we start a 2024 one in January?

1 Like

but it’s 2023 for four more months.

we could. Or we just update the title, 2023 now, 2024 then. The current thread isn’t as big as last time which did require a cutoff anyway due to the 502 errors.

1 Like

2022 lives on! (and can till the 502s begin!)

1 Like

Seems reasonable.

404 error: 2022 not found

@b264
I remember from my speedrunners day that there was a safe limit for vesc and erpm, like 10k on a unity or something like that, so say you could not go 12s with a more than 210ish kv motor without risking to fry the vesc
cannot find the info anymore, is it still relevant today ? same depending on the hardware ?

EDIT: looks like I found it

1 Like

VESC4 can safely do up to 55k ERPM, VESC6 up to 100k (Only tested up to 100k, can potentially do more), VESC75/300 and 100/250s can do up to 150k.

Edit: Didnt see your edit lol, I’ll leave this here for future reference.

3 Likes

?

I have an og maytech based on vesc 6, the basic kind of without heat sink, you think it would survive on 12s with 80ish k erpm ? (not planning to pull much amps) ? I want to belive it’s possible but I’m sceptic

Probs be ok. Stick it to a chunk if alu with thermal tape and it will improve your chances.

1 Like

Haven’t played with lipos yet… how would these perform in 16s2p vs 16s8p p42’s?

120c in 2p 228amps discharge, 19ah? I hear they sag a lot below 50 percent?

lipo battery manufacturers lie SO HARD about the C ratings. Don’t even think about using the manufacturer rating for anything, it’s worth less than the pixels the number is displayed on.

P42As will outperform these by miles.

5 Likes

So I have news, unfortunately. Meepo sent me that replacement battery for my voyager finally and I was coming back home in a kinda sketchy part of town a few nights ago after a couple weeks with it and hit a manhole, board INSTANTLY powers off lol.

So I’m kinda done w/ this shit, gonna start my build now but I’d like to still have a good method of transport as soon as possible without emptying my bank account so I’d like to kinda scrap the Voyager’s parts at first, a few questions tho.

A. could I just plop the Voyager’s trucks, motors, ESC, power switch, and mounting gear onto the Omni carbon fiber deck? (If there’s measurements I need to check to figure that out I’d appreciate pointers on where I can find info on what those measurements are for)
B. Gonna do max size custom battery pack later when I have more time- does anyone have personal recommendations on 12s 21700 packs? (I’d like anywhere from 4-6p)
C. I’m fairly annoyed with battery welds falling apart at this point, is there any well agreed upon method for cushioning batteries for shock absorption?

Hate to barge in unannounced, but i figure heres the place, so i grabbed a tayto enclosure thinking it would fit my deck, not realizing the tayto is concave as fuck.

So i have a pretty sizeable gap, but it is abs, and i seen on utube people heating and bending abs, anyone here have any experience and know if i would have any luck slowly heating and bending the enclosure to fit?

Alternatively, i was debating fibreglassing my deck, so if im already thinking about buying the material would it make sense to also glass the enclosure for strength and to fill the gap, or use the tayto enclosure as a mold to make my own fibreglass enclosure?

Thanks for any help all

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED : Common DIY pitfall #2

How tall is the gap at the highest part?

3 Likes

Shit actually. Just popped into my head & I’m not smart enough to actually know - don’t twisted wire pairs have a chance of fucking with sensors? I feel like I’ve heard that been mentioned when building with people a few times.

Both what you linked & most Ethernet cables have twisted pairs. I have no clue if it matters.

1 Like

1cm exactly :sweat_smile:
I could probably use a rubber or foam gasket and some liquid gasket, but i would prefer it look pretty

Yeah I feel you. 1 cm is a bit much to pull off cleanly.

What battery you need to fit in there? Personally, I’d try heating it and forming it and then buy a proper one when I fuck up the original.

1 Like

I was planning a 12s3p, but thats tight already in theory. I dont have yet, still acquiring parts. I could do 12s2p, but if im buying a battery i would prefer range and speed for the cost as i dont trust myself to build one. You dont think fibreglass would be worth the hassle?

@glyphiks is a fiberglass master but hates it with a passion. He only does it because he’s so good at it and he’s a like whore.

@That_Jamie_S_Guy just went through a whole ordeal mucking about with it but pulled off a win . I’m sure he’d love to chime in when the emotional damage has passed.

It’s a messy frustrating job, especially if you haven’t gone at it before and want it to look aesthetically pleasing.

But it’s a skill that I am massively envious of.

1 Like