Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I thought the DV6 was rated for 120a per side :thinking:

The unit itself says 100A, but they advertised 120A per side on their website for a long time.

I see… Then time to upgrade!

1 Like

I too have done this.

But I also blew up doing this.

I guess your experience was better than mine. Also I suspect belts are more forgiving for torque than GDs

1 Like

Just switched over my VX4 to UART+PWM rather than just PWM and I’m getting a weird kinda grinding noise from the motors.
I’m also noticing a red light on the VESC itself (which I think indicates a fault) I don’t have any kind of telemetry in this board, is there a way to get a better idea of what’s going on outside of buying a new logger?

Input setup went smoothly except I did accidentally try to use the 7p uart cable Rather than 8p, is there any chance I could’ve broken something shifting the pins over by 1?

1 Like

Is the webcam stuck on in my shed again?

yes, but those tiny wires inside might get hot :joy:

1 Like

Doubt the hurricane bms would allow a 12a charge…

/derail

2 Likes

This isn’t the right thread for questions like this. Search for the “beginners questions” thread, or the radium performance thread.

@longhairedboy Please Update thread title

2 Likes

It’s about time we get 2023 edition

3 Likes

idk, it’s already August. Maybe we start a 2024 one in January?

1 Like

but it’s 2023 for four more months.

we could. Or we just update the title, 2023 now, 2024 then. The current thread isn’t as big as last time which did require a cutoff anyway due to the 502 errors.

1 Like

2022 lives on! (and can till the 502s begin!)

1 Like

Seems reasonable.

404 error: 2022 not found

@b264
I remember from my speedrunners day that there was a safe limit for vesc and erpm, like 10k on a unity or something like that, so say you could not go 12s with a more than 210ish kv motor without risking to fry the vesc
cannot find the info anymore, is it still relevant today ? same depending on the hardware ?

EDIT: looks like I found it

1 Like

VESC4 can safely do up to 55k ERPM, VESC6 up to 100k (Only tested up to 100k, can potentially do more), VESC75/300 and 100/250s can do up to 150k.

Edit: Didnt see your edit lol, I’ll leave this here for future reference.

3 Likes

?

I have an og maytech based on vesc 6, the basic kind of without heat sink, you think it would survive on 12s with 80ish k erpm ? (not planning to pull much amps) ? I want to belive it’s possible but I’m sceptic

Probs be ok. Stick it to a chunk if alu with thermal tape and it will improve your chances.

1 Like