Bearing regreasing TBDD + Meepo Inner Hub bearing

Been riding the meepo on the salty sidewalks so did a regrease on the bearings. Pretty annoying knocking out the hub ring from the core. Mostly had an issue using my blue semi synthetic and switched to the red full synthetic which made the bearings sound a lot nicer (maybe the blue grease was dirty?) Used some zep citrus cleaner and a toothbursh to clean them out, flush with iso then compressed air to take out the alcohol.

7 Likes

@zZoKo post when you have to do this so we can laugh

It definitely sucks, especially flushing the bearing out when you only have access to 1 side. Compressed air was still needed to push out the old grease behind the bearings. I really didn’t have to do it, but once I popped the shield off I had to. There may be slightly too much grease, the free roll is definitely lower we’ll see what happens.

1 Like

a higher level of weather resistance I would bet!

1 Like

What’s kind of funny is the only bearing really exposed to the elements is the one pictured which is the most difficult to get to behind the motor. That tiny gap pictured allows moisture, dirt, salt to hit the inside bearing constantly, eventually getting past the seal. It doesnt seem like it but all kinds of crap gets in there from the axle, what makes it even worse is there is a small gap in there that allows it to accumulate. The front door is all sealed up but bare ass is flapping in the wind.

1 Like

what do you think about a TPU cap that would go over the truck and around the hub there, then it would have a port where you could add grease before riding in the rain.

1 Like

I tried a felt piece from some furniture leg thing but it rubbed a lot and made a shitty noise lol. What tpu cap exaclty? A printed one?

1 Like

yeah I guess since it does not actually rub on anything it could just be solid material, so like a 2 part case that goes over the truck like this:

then the grease would get pumped under that lip, and it would go as close to the hub as possible I guess. Maybe the centrifugal force would alway throw the grease out idk

2 Likes

Hm I like the idea of a tpu cover like that. I don’t think it is wise to lubricate anything externally even though it will repel moisture, it will attract dirt like crazy. Id leave it as dry as possible outside around the problem area. I was thinking of running a bead of silicone around it but also might rub a lot and make a mess. Not sure if I could make something printable for that though lots of work. It might be easier to rebuild every 1000km or so, or less if I rip the salty areas. I find leaving things too long it all gets seized up. Riding through even a few puddles makes such a mess on the metals.

1 Like

haha what about an automatic grease dispenser for my idea when it detects water

1 Like

Yeah 1 dollop of grease for every 20 pushes like some old car, I’m tempted to hose everything down with fluid film but again dirt everywhere. Maybe a precision cut shield attached in there, I think the furniture pad would still work but needs like some serious tolerance

1 Like

oh the printed TPU seal could be attached to the hub and on the truck to form a labyrinth that could also have a grease that would not be flung out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_seal#:~:text=A%20labyrinth%20seal%20is%20a,the%20oil%20lubricating%20the%20bearing.

3 Likes

Hmmm or one of these bad boys:

1 Like

i dont ride my board in the ocean?

1 Like

Great idea I will definitely steal that for my board. If the wheels tun fast enough the centrifugal force should keep the inside somewhat dry.

Im not sure where you want to connect the moving part of the labyrinth seal though.

1 Like

Part would be a cone that would get glued onto the hub and hopefully not get broken off… That is where the TPU is useful for flexible impact resistance.

I fucking hate glue. You can never trust it to not some day fall of because of heat or something :wink:
I guess even just the stationary 3D cover is going to help enough.

2 Likes

Yeah it would be cool if The ridges for the labyrinth seal were machined into the hub side.

1 Like