Bearing problem on Torqueboards Direct Drive

Using a tool or just by hand? Same question for the small bearing.

Small bearing will pop out if you push the stator out.

Large bearing we use another motor can so the outer race is supported and push the stator out.

1 Like

That one i don’t get…

Need to support the outer race of the bearing. Then push the axle out.

1 Like

I get the idea. Will need a propper tool though to push the stator out. Pictures of the tools you guys use would be VERY helpful. Next question is: How to get the big bearing back out of the can where it will - again - be stuck because of the pressure of pushing out the stator. Not that easy without the propper tools but i might be getting there.

Yeah I’ll send one a bit later.

Pictures:

Managed zu pull big bearing partly off. I need a tool though to fully remove it without applying damage. Any ideas how to push new bearing in afterwards?

5 Likes

For the small bearing, put it in the freezer and the can in the oven (80-100c maybe), then hammer in with a rubber mallet.
Vice versa for the big bearing, might need a gear puller.

If there isn’t enough expansion/contraction, it’s gonna be a lot harder :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My thoughts - minus the freezer/oven thing.
Will need a puller to remove the big bearing from the axle anyways.
Problem is that, when removing it, the bearing puller will only get hold of the outer rim of the bearing, while it is the inner part that holds on to the axle. No idea if the bearing can sustain the radial force. Better way would be to have the clamps wide enough so it grabs the inner part of the bearing as well, thus not spreading the force through the bearing-balls.

btw: as Dexter already said - when the axle is removed it is possible to pull out the small bearing by hand.

Yes the rubber bands help to avoid scratching on the cans, I ride on 100mm wheels. Had them almost fully covered in winter but now it’s summer so took most of it off. Also I got a pretty good feel by now to riding whithout hitting the cans on the ground.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32947280564.html

2 Likes

This is the device the bike-guy used as a punch to carefully push the axle out. It’s either a tool for changing bike cranks or even part of a bike crank itself. However, its widest part measures 20mm in diameter and fits perfectly inside the small bearing, pushing the axle out.

This monster is designed to pull off bearings of a leopard II tank. I used it to remove the big bearing from the axle that’s currently soaking in wd40.

5 Likes

Exchanged the faulty bearing with a new one. Problem solved - motor running smooth again. Will eventually exchange the c-rings as well. Let me know if any other questions come into your mind.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Did you ever figured out a solution the BLE Scan error?

I’m afraid i didn’t. Read some stuff about BLE Errors that i barely understood. Came to the conclusion (no idea if it’s the right one), that miui has got some issues with the bluetooth protocol that one MIGHT be able to solve by rewriting portions of the code, which exceeds my abilities by far.
Guess it’s a no no for unity and miui then.

A long socket works well to push and a block of wood on the arse end of the can sitting right on the edges. Put it all in a big vice and push it out👌
I found the key way/pin from the stator/axel was rubbing on the bearing. Hat to push the pin in a tiny bit

2 Likes

To replace the sensors do I need to take the stator of the axel,
When the big bearing is removed looks like the stator and bit the big bearing slide onto need to be removed from the axel.
Don’t want to make it harder than it needs to be

i had this clicking problem since day 1. posted the video here almost 1 year ago too https://youtu.be/1eKIU_q9Dio
manually turning the motor, i can feel it’s clicking into postions. definitely not smooth rolling. at higher speed, anything but rolling manually, the motors are buttery smooth though.
so you said you got your motor bearings replaced? how? where can i get replacement?
also, could you please do a video on how to replace motor bearings? i am hesitant to take things apart. would be great if you can send links to where to buy the tools. thanks!

1 Like

eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

sounds shorted out

Now go boy and read 1728 posts : )
Don’t forget i own different motors than you do.
I simply got no idea how to open eloftys, the principle should be the same though.
If i remember correctly you’d have to remove the screws that you can see on the inner side of the motor can.
After that you might be able to unscrew the can? Something like this i guess.

i saw that back in jan 2020. now with 1700+ posts no one has done a video on how to fix the issue. would be nice if they at least share replacement parts but nope.

1 Like