Bearing Exploded, Wheel flew off! Video

Since it’s a board from @Skyart I’m going to assume there was a bearing spacer in between? I’ve had 10x22 bearing explode before, luckily I was going slow and it was on the inside of the wheel so it just made a crunching noise and I fishtailed to a stop.

1 Like

Dang boss holy smokes. I will send a replacement set right away. The new bearings we use now are much better, the problem isnt 608, its the kind of 608. We now use Abec 1 which has larger and more durable balls. Helps they are also NSK brand

13 Likes

What’s the diameter of the wheel?

1 Like

150mm

I’d be interested in what he has to say.

1 Like

Dayuum bruh. I’m glad you’re OK. I’ll be inspecting my bearings often. Thx for sharing

1 Like

Best nachi alternative. :grin:

I wonder if utilizing some kind of large flanged locknut would keep the wheel from coming completely off in the event of a bearing failure.

Crazy that this was caught on video.

Good job @Cc670555 at being geared up for the ride. Doing that probably saved your life.

4 Likes

1st post, I created my account after lurking to comment. I’m glad your well, that fall is no joke.

I feel so lucky, I lost the same wheel(rear driver side?) at 25mph and surfed it out without falling, it was my fault. I wasn’t carving which probably saved my ass. My gear drive housing will never be the same but I’m good.

Be safe.

3 Likes

Imagine that happening when the car was passing in the other lane :melting_face:

2 Likes

Glad the damage wasn’t too bad mate - helmets be saving lives!

Do those drives have any lateral force? Interesting it happened at that point in the carve… not familiar with the exact mechanics but made me wonder about lateral force and wheel turning force squeezing the bearing.

1 Like

Glad ur ok, can you post it pick of your gear drive housing after the incident?

What the hell? That is scary that those bearings were able to escape with the composite retainer still in tact. I can only assume the bearings had more backlash than what would be expected? That’s for sharing that. I think I’m gonna get to my questionable sounding motors tomorrow after seeing that.

1 Like

I had a bearing explode last year. I didn’t even notice it happened until I got home. I was using v1 momentum hollow wheels and the outer wheel part just flew off.

So what bearings should one get? I have no interest in this happening to me, altough I pretty much always ride quite slow which I suppose reduces stress on the bearings very significantly.

I think the 22x10x7 bearings are more susceptible to failure. What do you guys think the best bearings in that size are?

Fasteddy 10x22x7 are the best ive found. The standard 10x22x6 are fragile and fail, even when made with metal cages ive managed to melt them.

2 Likes

I just use nachi bearings, imho stay away from ceramics and stainless as high chromium is corrosion resistant enough and way stronger.

Never run a bearing with a side load, if the spacer isn’t the right size and or it isn’t shimmed well enough that you can tighten the axle nut fully without any binding it needs attention and probably a .10c part and a little attention to detail will make the bearing outlast the tire. I don’t like 8mm axles for speed but I think the 608 are decent as long as they don’t have side loads beyond carving

I have had so many of the 6900 bearings go bad so fast if they have any side loading, I think there just isn’t enough meat on them to take abuse like the 608 donso for 10&12mm axles I prefer the 16100 and 6001 respectively just because they are bigger and more robust

Just my thoughts, not an expert

5 Likes

I think 22mm OD bearings are not the best choice for ESK8 especially with a 10mm ID. Yesterday I tried 28mm bearings. No weird sounds and they feel really solid. I can see even urethane wheels switching to larger bearings in the future.

4 Likes

Interesting. Could be something to do with the 3d servisas gear mounting connection to the wheel. Almost sounds like something was too tight somewhere for that bearing to be embedded like that. It’s generally just not possible unless it was pressed in somehow. It only take 1-2mm of offset between axle spacer and the back face of the gear to hub coupling / wheel adaptor. The nut will squeeze things together and can press the bearing into the plastic. Not possible on an alloy bearing seat however. The bearings noted NSK are super tough and would still handle the axial load as well as the plastic wheel being forgiving to a bearing seating tolerance issue for a short time however with the added load from the carving it was just to much and it failed. My question is how long did that gear assembly carry that exact wheel combo? If a long time , perhaps it was just a very, very old bearing…otherwise something is off. I would suggest changing to aluminum hubs for this board.

1 Like