Be the right kind of DIY guy

Although I’m still working on my first build, I have learned so damn much from this community after posting my build thread in April. It was just an idea then but you guys are making it Into a reality.

2 Likes

This was my first “build” while waiting for a Boosted V2 and parts from Enertion. We all started somewhere. I just used packing tape

9 Likes
  • Vote to admit you’ve used duct tape instead of an enclosure to ride your unfinished build
  • I don’t have a board yet :slightly_frowning_face:

0 voters

1 Like

MAte, I’ve used a dog leash to strap an enclosure to my board when I didn’t have long enough screws.

3 Likes

I used cellophane wrap once

2 Likes

Who dafuk was I when I started. The shit that came out of my mouth was ridiculous!

"My needs are only for a slow 10-15mph…I’m not really looking for range or speed"

13 Likes

You obviously needed a torquey beast to get you to 15mph in half a second.

1 Like

Where is the obsessive Madlad?

The one who actually doesn’t know his wallets place and still carry on despite the hazardous road, wants to build a specific thing at all cost even if he won’t be able to ride before a long time, and ends up learning more and more skills because when you can’t buy it you do it yourself?

Because that guy isn’t as refined as the Swiss army knife, yet he wishes he was. So he tries hard to become one but he’s still a Madlad in the end of the day.

2 Likes

Everyone gotta start somewhere

My first build:
[Google Photos ]

My main advice to a beginner, Don’t try and diy everything first time round. Its simply not possible / practical to DIY every part of a board on your first attempt. All the legends here who make awesome parts started using avalable parts, riding, then finding what they could improve.

8 Likes

Solid info. I’m doing the same on my first build. Sourced from members and some TB stuff. Been a solid 6 months of acquiring everything. 2 biggest reality checks;

• Your budget is going to go over by 3-500 for things you don’t plan on like safety gear
  • Even with meticulous planning it’s going to take a few months to get going.

@DJ4se I agree on all but the 3-500$…make it closer to 1k for me with the fire :sob:

3 Likes

I came to the forums while riding this:

That moment when you thought you invented a new thing and find out everyone’s been doing it better than you for years…

Made me humble and appreciative of the falls and triumphs of my forefathers right quick.

12 Likes

@Venom121212 Meanwhile, I still want to make one like that :heart_eyes::man_shrugging:
Cough cough secret cough Santa cough…sorry had a cat in my throat…(jk)

1 Like

I made that out of a $50 craigslist scooter, a $30 truck, and another $20 for the 2 old mbs wheels haha. I think you can manage this just fine.

7 Likes

It’s about 800 for me but I was trying not to scare off ppl lol

1 Like

Maybe. But scavenging in Canada never yields the same results as you guys :sob::rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah I get that. It’s why i tell people i stopped counting after 3k

2 Likes

We are a nation of trash!

3 Likes

I was about to say : pro tip, always store your batteries in your car trunk… Then I forgot who did this wonder here, I’m growing old. DIY grows on you man.

1 Like

I started on one too, WTF is this Swiss millennial though, always the fucking Swiss.