Battery Help Please

Hey guys, in need of help. Don’t know why, but my battery setup is not working right now. The battery is a Samsung 30q 10s4p

I noticed some time ago that my battery would only charge to 94%. I got it from my friend who had a bad bms installed. Got a new one and battery seemed to charge well, still to only ~94%. Maximum voltage was around 41.3V. Today, I wanted to check what was going on in each individual group. This is what I found when the battery was at a 44% charge, around 33.3V:

As you can see, 2 groups are at 3.5 and one group reads NO VOLTAGE while the others read 3.7. I bought an 18650 charger thinking I can spot charge any groups that needed a bit of juice but that last group at the end seems like an outlier. What’s going on there? Is the entire group dead? Don’t see how that would be possible when it read a voltage of 41.3V

On a separate note, I just went to charge my battery pack, and it won’t charge at all. Charger led doesn’t turn red. Thought it may be the bms so switched it out for a new one. Nope. Not sure if it’s the charging port, it looks to be fine. Is it because that entire group is dead? I’ve never really had problems before so I don’t know why that would happen now.

I’m sorry this is a long post, but I’m really really lost. I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks guys.

Generally speaking if a specific parallel pack if way below voltage you should toss that parallel pack, and if the whole pack has a fair few cycles you toss the whole thing. As someone who has chosen to ignore this advice due to being unable to buy lots of new cells, I’d say just replace the one at zero volts. Chances are the BMS is actually fine but has shut down because the balance leads are reading a disconnected parallel pack

Edit: also possible its falling apart and you just lost connection to that one parallel pack

How many full cycle equivalents are on that pack?

2 Likes

Battery seems to have a interrupted connection.

1 Like

Thats a dead group positively

1 Like

I would say around 100 maybe?

Why would it die all of a sudden? Especially since I have barely been using the entire board as it’s still in progress.

OOOF…you can’t replace the parallel pack anymore

The new parallel pack will charge way faster and discharge way slower…the low capacity is actually because the cells have less capacity

1 Like

The bad bms could have drained it. Had it happen on an enertion 10s3p.

1 Like

Ugh I’m so lost :tired_face:

And I was so close to finishing the build

So sad😔

2 Likes

It might be salvageable…make it a 10s3p or 9s4p

You’ll want to shuffle the cells around so new parallel packs are made from a combination of cells in a way that they have the same internal resistance. It’s a lot of work but its the best you can do with those cells

@NatS That dead group, did you measure on the group or the balance wires?

Measured it like this @J0ker :

1 Like

Don’t know if I’ll be able to make it 10s3p as the groups are in 4’s and taking out 10 cells would require a good amount of work. A 9s4p would work I guess

You’ll need a new BMS for it then

@ZachTetra Is it for sure not worth it to just replace that group?

Also, can I assume the pack won’t charge at all due to that dead group?

Tell you what, measure the voltage of the dead parallel pack directly, it might have lost a balance wire and be fine

The cells are old and at sub optimal capacity so they will never charge to 100 again but they might be okay still and its just the wire that failed

If the ‘dead’ parallel pack is reading a really low voltage you will need to remove those cells, and they cannot be replaced anymore since you’re at 100 or so cycles

1 Like

So you’re saying not to measure it like this?:

Remote the 4-cell group entirely from the pack and read the voltage?

Sorry if I’m not entirely understanding, still a noob at this :upside_down_face:

Got a Zoom account? Might be easier to talk

1 Like

Yes! Will pm you. Thank you so much man, appreciate the generosity

1 Like