Battery advise for 58Kv Direct Drive - Focbox Unity - 110mm wheels

Hello,

New here and I am working on my first built, and interested in feedback for the battery set-up.

My 1,5 year experience is with Wowgo KT and Wowgo Mini hub-motors, 40Amp discharge battery. Mainly riding decent asphalt bicycle roads but also brick pattern street roads in the Netherlands.

Have ordered 58Kv direct drives (Esk8supply.shop) and Focbox Unity (Massive Stator.com) because I want a more comfortable ride.

For wheels the motors come with 110mm black airless rubber AT wheels and I have also ordered 110mm soft 74A urethane wheels (Nexusboard.co.uk) .

I was very reluctant to spent this amount on any board, but gladually slipped down the road upgrading my board and now like to complete this with a matching battery. Was intriguided by the OneWow Black Carve but feel insulted by the outragious prices.

Preferred goal -as in ‘first-time right’- because this is the moment to do so:

I want to being able to utilize full potential torque at low speeds from these DD motors with 110mm wheels.

(topspeed is not important )

Minimum requirement: Achieving at least same torque at low speeds as the hub-motors. With Wowgo 40A compared to 120Amp this seems achievable, although so far on the forums and Youtube I have not seen clear evidence of this, the wheel diameter would be the pullcrit.

My riding style is one hour 25km/hr slow rides with constant heavy carving.

I am 46, like to lean a lot in the curves but don’t want to break bones.

In reality there is still plenty of cruising because of cyclist and dog-owners I have to account for.

What battery to choose?

So far I came up with:

10s4p - Samsung 40T – 140A Continous – 576Wh / 15 = 38km

https://www.nkon.nl/rechargeable/li-ion/21700-20700-size/samsung-inr21700-40t-4000mah-30a.html

What are your experiences regarding these Direct Drive motors, Focbox Unity and battery setup?

Would love to hear your advise and comments!

Groeten, Walter

2 Likes

Those motors combined are maxed out at 100A with a recommended 25A continuous, so the battery should reflect that. A 4p 40T or P42A are good for 140A so you can safely go smaller without drawback, also you won’t get quite as far as you expect

2 Likes

Thx for the reply! Good to know, I expected 120 not 100A. Recommended 25A Continuous is for the temperature of the motors I suppose.

For range what should I reckon; DD+110mm = 20-25 Wh/km ?

It’s hard to say but with big wheels like that you are going to burn a lot of current because of how much torque the motors put out, maybe 20 is more reasonable? I’m not sure though, depends on terrain

So it is actually 25A+25A -> max 60 Amp for both motors on the axel… that explains why 40A-Hub with 90mm wheels is kicking harder then 25A+25A-Directdrive with 110mm wheels.

Not much to do on the system side, 60Amp system current is peasy, but there will be not more torque at all times…?

don’t support that fuking thieving, lying, son of a bitch jason potter!!!

8 Likes

Please, stay on topic, don’t discuss politics here, I am a new and unbiased user, and there’s probably much to say as well over many suppliers regarding pricing, ethics, manufacturing plant workers conditions, environmental impact and social security programs and so on.

1 Like

whatever

you’re making your own karma

3 Likes

please, i don’t care you are new, don’t make ‘‘unbiased’’ opinions without having done some research. it doesn’t get you anywhere on this forum and people will judge.

It’s like your best friend slept with your wife and when you discover he tells you ‘‘people have done far worse in this world’’.
Like Our best friend KooK said

as for your board, 10s4p is plenty, and if you don’t want to ride fast/ and or not heavy, you could just go 30q cells which would be cheaper

3 Likes

Maybe you can imagine Kook made a bit disturbing entry in this thread in my eyes.
Thank you for the reply on the batts and hints on the context.

As for the wife-thing, sorry but I think I am still unbiased, typically I do my reading but have some reading to catch up. Spent today on the full Elofty group buy thread, will read up the JP story later.
Nice to see the involvements and experiences from the members here.
It is easy to judge, but you don’t know what you don’t know etc.

1 Like

Exactly! So this is why it was silly to say this

If you don’t know the story of Jason please watch this

Then you’ll understand the hate and why people don’t buy the unity, it’s because you don’t stay best friends with the guy who slept with your wife (in this case stole your money)
6 Likes

Welcome!

Yes

No (Careful that the stock actually exists and you don’t get scammed like many)

Yes (you can even go 10s4p Molicel p42a for extra range if you have this option)

1 Like

Don’t. There is no customer service for stolen goods. Buy this instead.

2 Likes

Thx, thats a clear and specific report. Now I understand what you all are talking about. Now regret ordering Unity.

1 Like

Thx, that Go-Foc looks great, heavy but with integrated heatsink.

1 Like

Where does the MakerX Go Foc ship from? Anything from outside EU is a 25% markup for me…

1 Like

China I think. Is there a EU based unity supply that I am unaware of?

FatDaddy.nl 400Euro, to picture their businessmodel.
Electricboardsolutions.com in Belgium 260Euro.
MakerX seems great, competitive pricing thankfully.
But their website is plain and without direct contact-info nor references.
I assume MakerX is a trusted supplier in the community, since you suggested?

Yes, lots of people running his stuff. Use the search, you’ll find numerous threads. Decent shipping time, ~2wk to the US in my experience. I run two different MakerX models and both are great. My friend has one as well that we will be installing soon.

1 Like

@Walter I think if you message @YUTW123 he can under declare the price for customs so you don’t pay tax

1 Like