Bad Idea | Inboard M1 hub single | flipsky 6.6 | foot pedal | 3 jawchuck

WARNING: This is so dumb and not safe. I did it just to say I made a tool from an ESC and Esk8 hub.

What? A rotating platform to grind, sand, and file on that can semi-center work.

Main components:

• 3 inch diameter, 3 jaw chuck. No back platel.
  • diy back plate with 3 hole bolt pattern to fit hub.
  • Inboard M1 hub, sans urethane.
  • chopped 8mm truck axle/hanger.
  • cheap, 2 axis cross slide vice.
  • Tupperware container for esc
  • flipsky 6.6 dual, broken, only one side works.
  • any battery, whatever.

Why? Idiotic procrastination project in lieu of drawing up CAD file for the 8 motor build. Also, we all like things that spin.

Where? TO THE LABORATORY!

How?

• cut truck hanger on bandsaw
  • mount to cross slide
  • make back plate
  • mount chuck to hub
  • connect wires to esc
  • put esc in container
  • glue remote to foot pedal
  • connect battery and program.

Not pictured:

• break taps in chuck
  • leave key in chuck while it spins up… twice. It hit me once.
  • get an end mill stuck in work and have it lift the work out of fixture, spin violently off center, recoil in horror, attempt to hit off button, miss, expose soft parts again to hit off switch.

image image

That’s all folks. New guys, look away, this isn’t a thing you should do.

19 Likes

Reserved to add emphasis on I know how stupid this is, and yes, I’ll get a vertical mill as soon as I can

6 Likes

22 Likes

I actually flinched when the chuck started to spin with that allen key inserted :rofl:

6 Likes

Awesome, the new ‘this old tony’ right here

6 Likes

This is…interesting?

4 Likes

Yup it left an impression all right.

2 Likes

the world is not ready for this yet

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I can’t let this go.

I have a broken cast iron vice that I cut up.

Also, this makes way more sense.

And, of course, that’s hot.

3 Likes

What do you want to use this for?

1 Like

Drilling Center bolt patterns, and maybe polishing / sanding.

Granted, center bolt patterns can be done by hand, and I don’t need a hub to do that.

I’ve used drills awkwardly held in clamps to revolve a truck axle I’m trying to cut/grind a notch in for a set screw. The chucks tend to leave bite marks. Drill presses rotate too fast. Manual drill plastic housings wobble out of fixture.

You can totally buy this for maybe 200$, but like, you can totally buy and electric skateboard…

2 Likes

It’s kinda like a one sided vertical lathe…with drill press above…

I love repurposing projects like this, even though there are plenty of other solutions to achieve the desired outcome.

I know I could buy a 35$ a shaft and a propeller to put on my old brushed 9.6v craftsman drill that has 8’ of 12 awg, and has been fed 12vdc nominal, for near two decades now, and push the kayak around.

But,

Repurposing my small cheap hub motors, when their urethane is totally gone, their 7s ESCs and married remotes, and their 7s batteries to spin a prop, and broaden the areas which Fiona and I can reasonably explore on the kayak, is something i hope to have the time, and gumption, and skill, to pursue.

Even though I could just buy a cheap trolling motor, or a thruster.

1 Like

Holy shit, I saw that smoking gif and thought, “what an idiot, who is responsible…, that looks familiar… omfg, I did this… :no_mouth::face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: