Back to building, 6th Build Short Board

12S, motor max, I did run them harder for a little while but this has become my wifes board so I toned it down a bit. Hopefully that plus the extra cooling will keep them running for a while. Got about ~100 miles on them.

1 Like

Plan for connecting P groups. 0.15mm x 8mm nickel strip doubled and folded on top. P groups then jumped with 12awg wire. Open to alternative ideas:

please criticize this if there’s a better way

Too bad there isn’t a Superlike button, because this is exactly it right here.

Sometimes I feel sorry for all the folks that only have built huge, long, heavy beasts and wonder how much it must suck to not have discovered yet the elusive world of well-built electric shortboards for errands.

4 Likes

Agreed, weight is a huge factor when considering it for practical transportation.

2 Likes

SUPER-LIKE

I find myself reaching for my shortest, lightest, board most often as well… looking into making it lighter… if I can manage a 15km range, 50km/hr on a 15# board, It’d be perfect

1 Like

the Blue One? :rofl:

1 Like

will it go 50km/hr? i’ve been shying away from a single drive, but that might be a rabbit-hole I have to go down to meet my objective…

That is the only shortboard I have that will hit 50km/h, and just barely.

How fast will MAD hubs go on 12S?

1 Like

I’m guessing up to about 50km/h if they are around 75kv. I have only ever tried hubs on 10s boards, so this is going to be fun to see.

2 Likes

Opinions on this construction? :grimacing: aside from obviously wrong size fish paper rings:

welds look good?

I’m not a welding expert but I would put more fishpaper on the right side under where the nickel passes over the shoulder of the cell. You can cut regular fishpaper with scissors if needed; doesn’t have to be precut rings but those help also

Yep thats a good call

1 Like

You still have the dots from inside the fishpaper rings? You could stick them below the nickel across the tops of the two cells as well.

1 Like

Coming together

2 Likes

Only took a year to finish this board. Finally built another battery for it after scrapping the p42a pack cuz I needed the cells.

12s3p VTC5A

Definitely gotta tone this board down a bit. 12s on those hubs @ 60 motor amps is way to sketchy, but fun. I’ve never liked the process of creating speed profiles but I have to with this one. This was supposed to be my sharable board lol.

2 Likes

Backfire mini. Better for the price than anything I could build. Bonus points for it not being ugly.

I know this is a really old comment to reply to

Yea, don’t think I could beat that price with a DIY either. Could be close if you get a deal on cells. These were from that sweet BCH VTC5A drop last year.

That said I don’t think the torque would compare (curious to know) with a DIY like this. Full throttle is tough to stay on.

Everyone here values their time differently. With the way I value mine, I simply can’t beat the BF Mini. My town is slightly over 1sq mile and very dense. I can have this as my only board and be fine. My fast boards are strictly for fun/ group rides.

Id never take my AT build to get something from the store.

I don’t like taking my street Evo to the store. It’s already too heavy.

I think this little shortys gonna be pretty nice. A good kick around board. All in all, the price wasn’t too bad.

• ~$100 for the deck/enclosure
  • $80 for the battery ($50 in cells)
  • $220 for the Xenith
  • $60 for the wheels and trucks (trucks came in LY mystery box)
  • $200 for the motors (MAD group buy)

3 Likes