B̶a̶c̶k̶f̶i̶r̶e̶ Zeus | WCS Recoil | Boardnamics M1 Gear Drives/220mm hangars | 12s3p 40T

Beautiful build. How do you like the BN M1 GD? Were they easy to set up?

They’ve been great so far. Extremely easy to set up. Only part that requires work is shortening your motor shaft to make them compatible, but that’s similar to many gear drives.

1 Like

Have you had any issues running your motor wires pointing forwards? With road debris or wire strain.
There’s limited adjustability on the BN M1s, I’ve realized…

2 Likes

No issues that I’ve come across. I really should p-clip them to the deck though.

1 Like

Welp. RIP to this deck. Hit a raised driveway just right and board came to a complete stop. I heard it snap as I was running off. The heel of my front foot is throbbing. Guessing over 300lbs of force went through it before I came off the front. Even feel it in my front knee a tad.

This setup was somewhat janky to begin with. The enclosure fit very poorly and was not suited to such a flexible deck.

Time to consider something new to put these components onto. This time I will definitely be choosing a deck with a purpose made enclosure for it.

5 Likes

Sad to hear bro. Good to see you taking this as an opportunity to improve the build.

1 Like

Backfire told me they’ll be selling the ranger x3 deck and battery/enclosure in late April. I’m not sure if the drop through mounting would have enough clearance with the gear drives - but if it does, that would be one sexy ultraboard.

Funny you mentioned this. I was looking at buying a RX3 deck and enclosure to replace this, but learned the enclosure is segmented on the inside, so wouldn’t work with my battery. I do think it would make for a very solid DIY platform.

1 Like

In Greek Mythology, Zeus took on many forms. This is his newest.

Since snapping my deck (with an ill-fitted enclosure), I have replaced it with a West Coast Standard Recoil and Fishbone enclosure. Loving the stiff 10-ply, deep concave and drop, and especially the 11 inch wide footpads for my size 12 feet.

In moving my components to this deck, I decided to upgrade to Boardnamics adjustable baseplates running 40 degrees in front and 30 degrees in the rear. May switch the front to 50 degrees, but this thing carves nice above 10mph and is rock stable.

I also replaced the blue 72a TB 110s with the new 76a 100mm Boa Constrictors. I may be the only person who hated my TB 110s, but I am absolutely loving these Boa wheels. Very soft, absorbent, and carve like glue.

Couple of shoutouts before the pictures:

• Shoutout @GJF1 for making moves to connect with me with @Psychotiller to replace my deck as soon as he saw I snapped mine

• Shoutout @Psychotiller for the amazing job with this deck, getting it to me hella fast, and doing the enclosure inserts for me - I hate doing that job and these are holding up great

• Shoutout @Boardnamics for being a great resource when it comes to keeping my gear drives in top shape and tossing in odds and ends to make maintenance a breeze

• Shoutout @rafaelinmissouri for inspiring me with your grip tape designs to do this hand cut clear design to show off as much of this beautiful deck as possible

• And shoutout @jack.luis for the amazing pack still going strong, and always assisting with troubleshooting on my DIYs

Now photos!

18 Likes

This thing looks awesome dude.

I love all the pops of blue.

Interesting that you are running 30/40
I’m running 40/50 on the Llama but it has crazy long wheelbase…

Do you think you notice the higher standing platform with the adjustable baseplates?

2 Likes

And dude…
What do you think???

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N08CGVC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_649183KNMDCN0CXH1FEZ

2 Likes

I don’t feel like I notice a higher platform. It might be close to even because I have a thicker riser in the rear than the front.

You suggesting the dye for the wheels? Perhaps when they start looking real bad, but I like the white with clear grip. Boa actually has some blue ones. Not sure how well they’d go with this board.

I’m also curious if clear grip tape would take to dye for a subtle effect.

Gorgeous stuff. It’s so nice to see new life being put into the core of a board that’s been broken.

Very cool. :+1:

2 Likes

Have you tried the 84a boas before this? Curious to know how they compare.

Unfortunately I have not.

:triumph: (no, my ego is not actually so big to think that Ownboard somehow took this name from me - just sad my board is a little less unique and interesting now)

2 Likes

This endorsement of Boardnamics M1 Gear Drives belongs in this thread too

3 Likes

SUE THEM!!!1!!1

This board is damn gorgeous…
im jealous
love the M1s!
have your Boa wheels held up well?

2 Likes

Very well. I’ve come to love the feel of these wheels. Extremely grippy and are nice and soft when going over rough stuff. I don’t even think I’m really missing the extra cm from TB110s and I hated the feel of those wheels.

1 Like