Automatic kingpin angle adjustment

Ah yeah I also wanted to clarify esk8 vs eMTB with the deck question.

From your first post talking about 30mph and carving I assumed street board. This idea definitely works good for eMTB though.

1 Like

Well, I realized that my plan was to be able to take a mountian board to insane speeds

2 Likes

A formidable challenge and goal my friend.

1 Like

For my friend it’s going to be a mtb, 10inch tires as you can see on the vids. Top speed will be above 100kmh.

2 Likes

Why would you want that?!?!

Only crazynessssss and for the challenge, he already got mad board that goes above 90kmh.
Unfortunately he can’t speak english to explain all his project, that’s why i’m here to share what some mad french peep’s does😄
4wd, 10inch tires, 12s20p vtc6, 4*8085 160kv maytech, 200a maytech Vesc.
Extreme esk8 as @mackann would say^^

3 Likes

What in the hell are the French people doing? Not gonna lie, little jealous

2 Likes

It sounds to me like the best way to do this is with a worm gear.

Those adjustable baseplate trucks are already 90% of the engineering done for you. Simply replace the holes in the curved portion with slots, and have the outer edge of the adjustable bit machined to have gear toothing. Then a worm gear can directly drive that.

Minimizes backlash (if done properly) and prevents any backdriving of the motor. Even if it doesn’t actuate or stops working, your board should still work because the truck will simply be locked in place by the worm.

THAT SAID, a motorcycle style steering dampener would 100% be the best solution. There’s a reason they’re used in the automotive industry.

7 Likes

At a time his aim was to break the record of the fastest esk8, maybe going to achieve it with this build!

@TowerCrisis quite true but it wouldn’t be easy to achieve, and where would you put the motors, the transmission etc?
I’m more thinking of Bajaboard style “trucks” or something like the S2.

1 Like

What is the record?

I think something like 107kmh. I donno what’s the top speed of @MoeStooge boards.
*Édit: officially it’s the NGV boad that can goes up to 110kmh, pretty sure that with this build he’s going be faster

1 Like

I thought a steering dampener just stopped the wheel from speed wobble? Although I guess you could just keep the trucks the same and just minimize steering wobble, in the end that really all we’re trying to do

Realistically my aim is to find a way to produce this commercially. Even though I don’t want to be making and selling them, I feel like if we made something decent some company could use it in their boards

From my perspective the compatibility is gonna be an issue. This is something you’d either need custom electronics for with its own programming and settings, or some kind of integration with a vesc to be able to read speed.

And yeah, a steering dampener should be all you need. Just leave the truck angle super high so you can carve all you want.

Well, ideally you wouldn’t need any additional transmission. With the current size of the curve, you could easily get a 1:50 reduction from the worm driving the curved rack.

Motor could also be quite small with this config

It was when we tried his second “speed build”, a rayne deck with some dope sk3 6364 213kv, trampa 240mm trucks, random but awesome 4.12 turnigy Vesc at 45amp, 44t driver, 6.5 tires, 12s20ah graphene lipos, and some madness. 97kmh theorical top speed, on this vids he was around 80kmh

3 Likes

But how to install a system like this on a board? Going to have waaayy too much tiny mechanical partz

1 Like

Actually I was thinking it could read all the information i.e. speed, rpm… And determine what it should be doing

That is the main issue