Aubcar’s Subsonic Century, 12S5P, Avio MK2, Berg’s, Unity FW5.1

This beautiful ride belongs to @Aubcar! I spent the last few weeks building this out and came out really nice. Lots of inspiration from the enterprise build.

Parts list:
Subsonic Century with eboosted enclosure
12S5P 21700b cells in flexible configuration.
Focbox Unity running Vesc FW 5.1 with smart reverse. 12 awg motor phase wires, XT 90, METR unity module. MR60 motor phase wires.
Avio Mk2 herringbone gear drives on Kahua trucks. Otang purple bushings
Blue bergs
Hoyt Puck
Here’s some photos of the original parts:

The 12S5P came to me built but the owner elected to have me rebuild it. It’s done with 0.2 x10 nickel and series connections are 5x or more. Flex connections are 2x 14awg. This deck was made in their stiffest configuration and still has quite a bit of flex, even with the enclosure installed. The pack can flex in two places to account for this.
The previous configuration was the following. This is what it takes to fit 12S5P into one of these enclosures. It’s very possible, the BMS will just sit above the focbox or VESC.

This arrangement required a long wire to be run from B10 to B11 down the length of the pack. Didn’t love that.
I was already planning to make the new pack flexible, but I also decided to change the configuration of the P groups. This required 5 total folded series connections, compared to 1 on the prior. It was a lot of extra work but the result came out great. Folded connections are reinforced with double fishpaper rings on the positive terminals and a strip of adhesive paper across them which makes the fishpaper layer flush with the top of the positive terminal. This virtually eliminates the possibility of those connections getting near the can of the positive cell, which is the only place they can short their. On the inside of the connection is fishpaper, kapton and 3m double sided tape. This keeps the distance between cells consistent, reducing vibrations on the folded connections. I’m not a fan of folded connections if you can’t tell :rofl:.
Here’s the new layout. If you see this and are already wondering, yes it made BMS wiring a PITA too

Now the B10 to B11 connection is short. And B11 will be fixed to B10 with glue and fiberglass tape.
Some build photos:

Here’s the new B10 to B11 connection. B10 has a 0.2 mmx10 strip across the P group. Then a second layer joins each half in the center and goes to B11.

The staggered B11 and B12 groups have x2 14awg connections that are continuous pieces of wire, stripped at the connection site but not cut. Nickel is folded 0.2 x25 for 50mm of connection total width. There were a lot of carefully hand cut shapes to provide the right connections without having them cross over each other. The flex connections in the center are 0.2 x75mm width.

Here’s some more build pics. I’ll be logging onto the PC in a bit and can add some more info.

18 miles on it already. Rides beautifully and I’ve had it clear to 35mph without loss of stability. Absolutely great board.

Motor 60/-50
Batt 35/-10
Vesc FW 5.1 and Hoyt have had no hiccups

Back to add more later

And finally, what we all wanted to see.

23 Likes

A little update. @avio and @haggy are sending out a new motor because of an issue with one. Very responsive and great customer service.

To do still:
-Slime tubes and mr tuffy tire liner.

• 3D print a cable strap for the motor phase and balance wires
  • draw up a tail guard for it
  • printed the bash guards for the AVX but they’re way wrong in regards to bolt spacing.
  • check p groups now that I’ve got about 6-8 charge cycles. (There was some concern with this d140 BMS)
    Wedge front truck to reduce angle

Thoughts:
I’ll start with experience. I’ve never ridden a board on pneumatics, not for any more than a few minutes. The owner took a fall on his Tayto earlier in the week and is resting up, feeling good though. I’ve been monitoring this BMS and dialing the board in a bit while he rested up. So I’ve got about 40-50 miles on this board.

First, I should mention this board had no learning curve. I wasnt new to just pneumatics, but had none or no significant time with a deep drop deck, gear drives, 6374s, Hoyt puck, a battery this powerful, etc— all of these are not found on my current ride. I’ve tried emtb, TKPs, DKPs, they all had some getting used to. This thing just inspires confidence, it’s rkp of course too so that’s familiar. But the whole combination is just well balanced and despite being 31 lbs, it remains really nimble beneath your feet. I’ve been absolutely blasting through the streets on this build and just feeling locked into it. The Hoyt puck is excellent, road grip has been great, it’s quiet and quick. He got the 190kv motors which nearly yanked the board from me when I mashed the throttle doing 20mph. Off the line they are pretty peppy with the Bergs but I would prefer a slightly snappier bottom end. I’m building a 12S board currently and went with 170kvs.
It’s got a bit of front axle wobble. Has not unbalanced the board all the way to 36mph. However the twitching back and forth at moderate speeds is tangible through your feet as you go faster. With a 50* baseplate and the 15* nose, it’s just a silly 65* front truck angle that I’m gonna wedge back towards 50

Other things:
Kahua stock kingpins are too short to install purple otang bushings onto. Have to grab new ones from the store. Have otang board side and stock on the road.
Kahua stock bushing washers click because the ID is too much larger than the OD of the kingpin bolt.
The fiberglass work on this deck left a lot to be desired, especially considering the price and the time he waited.
Vesc FW5 is working great. Push to start with unity works and pairs with the puck fine.

Still need to find time to type in some info above here, have a Hummie on the bench at the moment I’m scrambling to get done before I go away for the weekend

2 Likes

Nice build!!
How much the eBoosted’s Single stack enclosure and ground do you have?

1 Like

I’m a little biased, but that is a gorgeous build! :grin: I’m glad to see that I can cram 12S5P in my board if I decide to upgrade cells!

2 Likes

Super sexy build :star_struck:

3 Likes