AT Wheels Balancing Guide

Let’s look at an extreme case, say at a 89deg angle, there will be a lot less force contributed by gravity to drive the heaviest part of the wheel downwards. That’s why you’d want it to be as level as possible, to more accurately locate where the heaviest part is.

6 Likes

Thanks for this guide @avX

Question, do you think that Slime could act as a dynamic balancer like the beads? I ask because I’ve never tried my wheels without slime, and never felt even a tiny bit of vibration from them, all perfectly smooth

I don’t think they recommend it :joy:

1 Like

Well, but I guess it works :grin:

2 Likes

Good write up dude. I thought I was the only one who balanced their wheels. Family owns a tire/auto shop and I know how much it makes a difference.

9 Likes

is there a lazier method that doesnt require buying parts accept weights to balance

thank you

Do it on the axle of your trucks

6 Likes

Buddy. C’mon. Weights will be sub $10 and you can just take an evening and do it right. What do you have to lose?

Exactly this. Get your trucks/deck level (parallel with the ground) by using a bubble level/app on your phone, and secure it so it doesnt move while youre spinning the wheel. Remove the belts for the driven motors so theres less resistance. Easy peasey

4 Likes

You don’t like reading the original post huh.

3 Likes

This. I just remove my belts and make sure my board is level. Easy as f.

These things stay on pretty well or do you always need replacement spares?

They stay on until I use a flathead to pry them off.

2 Likes

I have a few of the old style lead weights I am guarding like gold and keep reusing.
The new steel ones are way too big to fit on a skate wheel.

2 Likes

I use these, adhesive lead weights for sports equipment :

2 Likes

My problem isn’t that they are unbalanced up and down, mine are left and right + up and down.

1 Like

Is it just the tires or the rims as well?

just the tire.

I’ll try to make a video

1 Like

I have the same issue. It’s just how the tires are I guess. Don’t know what you could do about it.

Did this. Allows easy removal and install for finding the sweet spot. Standard automotive wheel weights cut and decent velcro.

16 Likes

Sorry, i don’t get understand this, could you elaborate? The plane of rotation is 2 dimensional, you can move the centre of rotation however which way by placing weights on any part of the 2d plane.

You balance the tyres and the rims together as one rotational object, because they turn together as 1.

1 Like