At Odds End [Build Log]

The bolts should hold ezez, only possible failure point i could see is the plates bending sideways or the holes failing, although that seems very unlikely. This build looks friggin dope! Love the diy.

Long live testing!
Good riddance to the armchair engineers! :laughing:

Error on the side of caution is always the best idea, I’ve seen things shear in my almost 30 years in the field, that the best engineers minds at caterpillar and hitachi were sure would not fail or shear . But hey, I’m just an armchair expert

You switch opinions faster than a girl changes shoes my man. :thinking: :laughing:

I agree on taking caution though, but then again you should do everything with caution in life.

3 Likes

You are charming

I take risks with my body, not my engineering

Forgive me I work in an industry where comparison to a woman is grounds for a meeting In the parking lot, I forget we are on the internet, not face to face,hopefully I judged you being casually rude incorrectly, in any case I. Am far to easily provoked, it’s a character flaw I’m working on

I’d gladly do the actual calculations and show just how much force is on each of those pins - theres a difference between armchair engineering, and understanding the principles at play here. Nothing against the OP - it just seems like the two pin mounting is close together, for very little reason. Moving the pins further apart would significantly reduce the bending moment generated.

The lever arm between the two pins is quite short, by eye it looks like 30mm or less. Assuming a rider weight of 100kg, and an even split of weight distribution front to back, each side has to handle 50kg, split across the two sides thats 25kg per interface. The truck mounting is spaced pretty far from the pins, I’m going to make an assumption of about 150mm distance to the first pin. This means the pin closest to the deck has to withstand a constant 125kg load, per side, with the fulcrum pin having to withstand 150kg of load in the opposite direction to compensate for the huge moment this lever creates. 3mm steel, and an assumed 10mm pin, ill give the benefit of the doubt of a 30mm load bearing cross section, even though it would really be much more concentrated. Doing the math, this gives us a pressure load of 49 MPa on that steel plate/fulcrum pin contact face, for a purely static load, with perfect weight distribution and idealized contact faces. For shear force, the cross section of that tube is about 20mm^2 or less, resulting in a shear load of 80MPa. With regular steel limits being around 300-400MPa on shear force, a safety factor of only 3.75 for a purely static load is cutting it quite close. In the real world, you’d be dealing with a significantly higher dynamic load, with weight distribution never perfectly even, and the loading being concentrated onto much smaller cross sections. With dynamic loading being potentially orders of magnitudes higher, and the repeated vibration/shock something like this would undergo, fatigue wear could become an issue.

1 Like

Theres also a difference between understanding, and doing. If it works, it works, its not rocket science.“wear” yeah like everything…

1 Like

With all due respect - did you actually read through the math and explanation, or just emote and then reply? The issue here would be wear over time, with repeated cyclic loading deforming parts and introducing plastic deformation little by little, and wearing out the interfaces. That tube cross section is only about 20mm^2, with a significant load on it. The shear force load would be immense.

1 Like

I did you messed up its half loads per side

1 Like

The rider load is assumed to be centered in the deck. Each end of the deck holds half the full load. Each end of the deck has two sides, which interface onto the endplate via the pins.

Flex, urethane, bushings, etc… you cant expect limitless design options. There are limits to work in any further the wheelbase becomes further making the problem worse… like seriously there is a lot at play its not mathable. Maybe to you.

What it is, is commonsensable. Its not going snap and if it does who the hell cares

I work with safety in mind, but not at the top of the list. If its 100% safe in 90% of conditions its fine.

Its jargin use real world examples

Use normal force, trig, etc… that way more of us actually care.

Fatigue wear my understanding is steel is fine with this.

Also… hitch pins

At the end of the day, its your board and your life - just seems like thats a lot of load for those components the way the pins are arranged.

1 Like

This i agree with. Too much? We dont know.

1 Like

I hope this discussion does not discourage you from posting further progress though. I bet there are many people interested in checking your work out and seeing if it works!

2 Likes

I was hoping you had did this analysis, :frowning:

Too many variables to account for.

1 Like

Thanks, it does not discourage me.

1 Like

Working on temparary top mount 12s4p enclosure. Will bolt through binding holes.

2 Likes