Arythmia 4WD - Boundmotor Octopus

@Monstra, Yessir, jumpers through the enclosure

What was the idea there?

Waterproof connectors, they’ve been made so that i can swap motors externally, everything has a jumper through the enclosure. Theory is i dont want to have to drop the enclosure to do anything to it.

Ive needed to uplevel my soldering over the course of this project somewhat but I think that im getting there now. The top one is my least favorite, its just the ugly sibling i swear…

3 Likes

Won’t it disconnect at the mr60 anyway?

Yes they would, i felt that leaving the phase wires as bullet connectors would be easier for plug and play.

Ive regretted this a number of times…

If i have a joint a bit bulbous I usually just file it down a bit. Not sure if it’s the best practice but it makes me feel better about how it looks haha.

5 Likes

I fixed it with heat shrink

I don’t know why we don’t utilise crimping more often. A hexagonal crimper on a decent lug is going to provide a better connection and won’t stress insulation or create a point in the wire strands more prone to stress like solder does.

2 Likes

The saga continues, i needed to find an extra mm or two so have come up with this as a solution (i hope)… the antisparks fouled on the deck and while it would (if forced) pull down, id rather not put the extra pressure on the battery, so ive run a rubbery strip around the enclosure to lift the deck by 2mm when pulled down. I dont see an issue with the seal (yet) so hopefully this gets me that one step closer to riding this thing soon

6 Likes

What kind of rubbery seal is this? Is it on the stiffer side?

1 Like

Its very flexible in fact, but it’ll squish down nicely, i havnt yet decided if I’ll mount some to the deck to interlock with it yet, i need to look at it in mote detail

1 Like

After seeing that rubbery seal pull itself loose at the corners over the last week, ive had to have a rethink about how i can find that 1 or 2mm… i felt that any solution should be a 1 piece ‘gasket’ sort of deal, joing the ends of the strip qas going to be problematic and a major weak spot.

Enter a rubber gasket seal

The bond between this and the eva layer on the underside of the deck is like new partners spooning, its all snug and squishy in the right places but still easy to get into…

Im undecided as to if i should contact glue the rubber gasket to the enclosure or leave as a contact surface. I’ve currently spot hot glued so i can drill the mounting bolt holes then pull the hot glue off.

1 Like

I’d be inclined to line both sides of the rubber gasket with EVA and keep it seperate.

3 Likes

Haha is that just one of those Bunnings slip pads?

1 Like

Could be… not sure what its intended purpose was for , was on a massive roll so i got a meter to play with to see if i liked it… id have gone to clarke rubbe lr but they shut the one nearest me.

If you recall, the underside of the deck has eva attached and i may end up lining the other side if i still need a mm or two which i think i will

1 Like

Just on 19kg without the hubs and wheels which are just under a kg each so should come in just under 25kg which from memory is about the weight of the flux

2 Likes

Ah yeah. I thought that was neoprene on the deck.

EVA foam is good for taking up inconsistencies, but it’s pretty lousy as an actual spacer, it compresses too easily.