Are the flipsky the best budget remote?

Now I want a pork pie. Shit.

3 Likes

Who ate all the pies?

1 Like

Have you missed me?

1 Like

I think that the GT2B (or a similar variant) with a 3D-printed mod is still the reigning champ for a low-cost and reliable remote. The only downside is that you have to take it apart and install it into a new case. Itā€™s not as slick-looking as some of the other options. However, it has a rechargeable battery that lasts forever, rock-solid pairing, and in 4 years Iā€™ve never had a single remote drop. Like never; not on group rides, not in the city, not in high EMF areas where other remotes Iā€™ve used had problems. You flick the switch and itā€™s on, ready to ride, immediately. You flick it off, itā€™s off. Thereā€™s no two-second button mashing needed.

7 Likes

That thing has a HUGE deadzone that you cannot change because it doesnā€™t support PWM. I recommend against it unless something has changed.

I just donā€™t know if I can get on with a thumb wheel, granted Iā€™ve never had one, but I feel like trigger would be more comfortable for longer rides.

I would advise strongly against buying from sellers like that. Its not even much cheaper than buying from some western resellers and you lose 70% battery capacity because youā€™re getting old 500mah stock and not 850, and if you get the 250mah youā€™re fucked because the battery is really bad.

2 Likes

or you could just get a 1000+mah battery and drop that in for not much :man_shrugging:

@Anubis I have opened the one I got from that seller and it was the 850mah version. That is why I recommended that specific seller.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t buy anything from flipsky

1 Like

Luck of the draw i guessā€¦ his description lists 500mah and when i placed a sample order from one of those aliexpress sellers i got all 3! (250 500 and 850ā€¦ all from 1 seller without asking for anything specific)

Itā€™s sad that weā€™re at the end of 2019 and still discussing cheap plastic compromise remotes as valid choices.

2020 better be the year of sick af esk8 remotes or Iā€™m going to be writing a strongly worded letter to kugs dad. You dont want that, heā€™s a lovely chap.

3 Likes

If you want cheap and solid, go for the mini remote available for $20. Sometimes even $13. Itā€™s basic but itā€™s 100% solid for everyone who uses it. So no, you are not compromising your safely in anyway.

I have dropped mine 10 or so times too and itā€™s been still going.

4 Likes

can anybody tell me whats the difference between v4 and v6?
thanks

will fit a larger battery

1 Like

Version 4 is for VESC4.XX based hardware and V6 is for VESC6.XX based hardware.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the vx1 all summer and never had any issues with it. Although Iā€™m in Ohio, not really riding in any big cities

Have one of these incoming to replace by Gt2E (annoying AA batteries).

Does anybody know how to set the failsafe value in PPM mode? Seriously donā€™t want it to apply brakes /should be 0 throttle.

I donā€™t believe you can set failsafe value in PPM or UART, its set at neutral throttle position.

Neutral is fine with me (better than holding last signal). Thanks for the feedback.