Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Heā€™s running Raptor II hubs, thatā€™s where his throttling problem is.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve told him this multiple times, doesnā€™t seem to be getting through to him. Raptor hubs are known for throttling under any conditions, I guess the only case it wonā€™t throttle is when not movingā€¦

3 Likes

Ah that kind of throttling. I mainly assumed he means the throttle / acceleration

Nope, Heā€™s running a pair of heaters and is surprised when they overheat.

5 Likes

Is anyone in the EU able to erode some tiny holes through hardened steel slices?
Bought some to strengthen my hub motors and it looks like it would turn out as wanted. The only problem is the hardness of this little suckers. I tried it with every drill and diamonds but no way, so i think it could be that eroding is the key.

Them tiny ā€œmoldsā€ i have reached with a diamond but took about an hour so far and i am not through :confounded:

1 Like

The standard method of drilling hardened steel is with carbide. Carbide drills arenā€™t that expensive but if you donā€™t have them set up in a milling machine or a drill press, itā€™s really easy to break them - especially small ones.

The other method is EDM, electrical discharge machining. Generally slower and more expensive, but you can drill anything conductive no matter the hardness, from mild steel to carbide.

6 Likes

thank you for explainingā€¦who does stuff like that? Whom should i ask about that?
whats your suggestion?

Do a search for machine shops in your area and start calling them up for quotes. Another idea would be local colleges / vocational schools that have mechanical engineering / machining / metal shop programs.

2 Likes

ok Ill get all that stuff together after work

yeah the throttling is nuts tho after a short ride I can barely get up hills and it just craws at like 12 kmh on flats and ive got full battery

Thats the special feature of the hubs. If the settings are within spec then there isnā€™t much you can do anyway.

3 Likes

Maybe just put some telemetry on it. get a bluetooth module and something that shows temps. then youā€™ll see right away that itā€™s your hubs actually getting hot. if thatā€™s what happening (and itā€™s starting to sound likely) thereā€™s gonna be little you can do but shed weight and donā€™t go up hills.

the settings that prevent it from getting too hot are what does the throttling.

when i had the nanox I was ripping up hills like crazy on the very same run, now i gotta stop 4 times (itts a bit of a joke tbh)

well if it was working before and all you did was change remotes (and scramble settings :D), thatā€™s a good data point you should be able to get it back to where it was before.

soā€¦

3 Likes

hope so because i fuking love riping through the streets on my skateboard

1 Like

In vesc-tool you can save your configs and share it with us:

make 4 files. motor and app settings x 2 vescs.

2 Likes

What would the optimal unity settings be for a 12s4p 40t with dual 6374 190kv? I know the max battery discharge amps would be 100. But what about max breaking regeneration, motor max and motor break max? Are the defaults ok?

Yeah ill give it a try, thank you. :wave:
Very good ideas :+1:

Iā€™m going to order some metric taps shortly. I need m5 and m3. if anyoneā€™s got recommendedations itā€™s appreciated.

1 Like

Iā€™m completely confused now:
Do I need a key for my motor if it has a keyway slot (that is empty at the moment) ? My motor pulley will have two grub screws. Since no shaft key came with the motor, I didnā€™t think about if I need one.

Motor:
6354 Flipsky

Motor mount:
Dickyho kit (15T 5M 8mm motor pulley)