Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I’m alway impressed by the wire gauge for hub motors !

You might be able to compute the KV from wheel size and max speed if those data are available ?

Max speed is governed in software, which is his main problem. :man_facepalming:

I meant from the constructor datas.

That’s what i did with my MXUS direct drive motor : the manufacturer wasn’t able/willing to give me the KV, but he told me the motor has a max speed of 32km/h with a 20in wheel @ 48V ; i was to compute an estimate KV.

If you run it with a vesc you can get a ballpark idea by measuring the RPM and dividing by the drive voltage. Not very accurate though.

1 Like

if i am interested in running 13s would you recommend trampa vescs or a unity more

which one is more reliable at 13s?

or is there a currently available better alternative to 13/14s

Stormcore 100 series

Vesc 75/300

I would never use the word “reliable” while referring to operating things outside their specifications. The first word that comes to mind is “risky”

4 Likes

not available for buying yet
do you know when it will be

im not made of money you know

what vesc is the most likely not to kill me

Probably a FOCBOX 1.7 running at 10S, running Ackmaniac firmware

5 Likes

what vesc is most likely not to kill me running at 13/14s
not including stormcore or trampa 75/300

probably a trampa 75/300 running at 1s 1amp

This one

But your goals can probably be acheived in better ways. Instead of giving a certain specific battery requirement, what do you want the vehicle to do better in that you think increasing the voltage to 60V is the best way to acheive it?

3 Likes

more speed at lower kv
increase torque and speed

can you even buy that axiom thing?

So you want more torque and speed? Moe does that all the time on 8S. Using a 14S battery is not necessarily the only way to do that.

My first suggestion is to raise the Kv a lot and double the number of motors. That will do exactly what you want without obtaining a Stormcore 100 ESC or raising the battery voltage.

1 Like

double number of motors is more expensive then stormcore
moe does that but not in a way good for a street board

guess 12s is the way for the moment

You said optimizing for speed and torque. Optimizing for cost, weight, or lead time will change the whole equation.

If you want lower cost and weight then wait for a new ESC to hit the market, get used, and become available on the second-hand market.

1 Like

so on my current setup what can i change to increase speed and torque without having to spend a fortune

i get what your trying to show here and i guess you arent a fan of 13s

It doesn’t matter what I’m a fan of. When you’re driving a highly inductive load using a part whose absolute maximum rating on the datasheet is 60V, you shouldn’t approach that number.

No matter how much you want to, or are (or aren’t) a fan of something – does not change the device’s physical properties.

1 Like

k thank you

out of interest what is your ideal 2wd setup for good torque and speed?

also what do you think of gear drive vs belts

If you design and make a custom 13S BMS – or modify an existing one – that balances the cells at 3.90V instead of at 4.20V, then you can feel free to use a 13S battery on a 12S charger and have all the benefits of 13S but none of the cons, knowing it’s as safe as a 12S pack.

But that requires making or modifying a BMS.

That’s pretty cheap. It just might take you a long time. How much is your time worth?

1 Like

got plenty of time but zero understanding of how to do it

what is your perfect drive train then

Spend your time figuring out what part of the BMS sets the balancer’s bleed voltage.

It’s likely a tiny change that need to be made physically, maybe even changing some resistors, but figuring out how to make the change is 99% of the time.

Learn how electricity works, then learn how a BMS works. Then figure out what part of it does that. Then modify it and test your modified one. Then modify one to do what you need.

Very little cost, very little added weight, added speed and torque.

This fits your parameters.

1 Like