Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

What is the best way to drill penetrations through the edge of an enclosure for wire pass throughs? I don’t want the wires trapped when I want to get inside the enclosure. I can’t figure out how to clamp the enclosure securely on my drill press and I don’t trust my hand to drill through the edge.

Is it ABS? Because I definitely hand-drill ABS. Make an indent first with an awl if you have one else a drywall screw. You can also use an X-acto knife on ABS if you’re super-careful not to lop off the end of your finger.

Always drill a pilot hole first dead centre of the actual hole size. Much easier to centre a small drill bit than a large. I use a bradawl sometimes too. This thing is my favourite tool for being careful though.

You just use a very sharp bit the same size as the tip of the cone bit and slowly bore out the hole to the right size.

2 Likes

I always found forsner bits to play pretty nice with soft plastic since the hole wanders less

A scratch awl should be in everyone’s toolbox. I use it on nearly every project. Bonus if you find a kit of nail sets that comes with one.

1 Like

Center punch + step cone drill bit (@Dareno actual name :wink:)
Gives a perfect fit

1 Like

Picky picky. :laughing:

1 Like

Do bergmeisters need a spacer between bearings?

1 Like

It’s not absolutely necessary but it does help

@torqueboards what is the max charge current for your 12s4p pack? Is it limited by the BMS? I’ve got the 4amp wall charger, but I’m wondering what’s a safe battery regen value. I’m currently using -8 amps per side of a dual vesc. Is that too high?

1 Like

What cells are they? If they are Samsung 30Q cells and it’s 4P, then the safe regen might be somewhere around -12A. You could probably do more if you wanted.

Yeah they are Samsung 30q. I had set to -12. After my last test ride (6 miles mostly flat, small build hills, stop and go at lights in the city, 95 degree outside temp) my motors were really hot. I don’t have bt yet so I couldn’t check the actual temp. I thought maybe my regen value was too high causing heat buildup. Maybe it was just the outside temp bring so high.

Fwiw my other motor settings are
Motor Current Max: 50A
Motor Brake Max: -40A
Battery Current Max: 30A
Battery Regen: -8A

The high regen current will cause hot battery, but only when braking at high speed, and there is an inherent limit in how long you can continue to do that. (you’ll slow down)

High motor max can cause hot motor.

Also my numbers were for “battery”. If you’re running dual, you need to halve all the battery numbers but not the motor numbers.

This is probably okay, doubled, for a 4P pack with 30Q cells. So the pack would see 60A and -16A

@anon54720240 VESC Tool 1.16 https://ufile.io/sslh3w2a

@AnotherEndeavor safe zone is -8 to -12a per motor but I’ve been using -20 to -30a with no issues so far for the direct drive setup.

1 Like

Just update the firmware. Finding the tool for your outdated firmware will be much harder and you probably won’t find it.

1 Like

Which vesc tool version are you looking for? I got a few saved in my PC.

Edit #1:

I have these:

• Vesc 0.83
  • Vesc 1.00
  • Vesc 1.04
  • Vesc 1.08
  • Vesc 1.13
  • Vesc 1.14

Edit #2:
Here are the files if anyone wants them. I think it will only be up for 30 days.

1 Like

Absolutely they do. All bearings need spacers. All of them. If not when you tighten up the wheel you are putting lateral forces on the inner race and the bearings will bind.

3 Likes

Like @torqueboards said just update the firmware. What vesc is it?

This was my understanding as well. Hmm I didn’t get any with my wheels. Maybe I just didn’t look well.

1 Like

Is a single 6374 190kv motor enough to carry a big guy around 160 lbs up a hill and around town?