Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

could it have over heated and need to cool down?

Switch might’ve died. Test turning it on/off by shorting or something

1 Like

Check the thermal fuse for an open circuit

2 Likes

That was what I thought…

Hm, trying to figure how to do that safely.

Where can I find the fuse?

Can’t you like… Check continuity with a DMM?

Hair dryers and heat guns us a primitive way to control temp at a certain temp the fuse cuts power to elements once the temp drops it turns back on the element, when they fail they normally fail open.

Shorting switch didn’t do anything.

Checked continuity of the switch. Seems alright.
There appears to be no thermal switch in the heating element. It just has two pathways through the coils for high and low settings.

Might the fault be with the fan?

1 Like

The fans resistors seemed all in order. While checking the continuity of the heating coils, one of the connectors broke off. I am not entirely certain, but it might have been already broken.

I don’t think it’s going to be worth trying to recrimp the heat damaged connectors just to find out that something else is the actual fault. Too bad.

Well, I learned how heatguns are constructed today!

6 Likes

I made a separate thread but gonna ask again.

I am going to get the revelkit and looking for a board. I have a boosted Dual+ and love the Vanguard.

The Icarus looks like the new Vanguard – very safe choice. But I much prefer dancer decks. I am now eyeing the Tarab (https://loadedboards.com/products/tarab-longboard-skateboard) and want to use that.

What do you think? Is the Tarab a good choice? It’s pretty long and doesn’t have grip tape from the looks of it :thinking: Is wheel bite a problem?

I don’t plan on doing anything crazy. Just commuting, cruising, having fun with the board.

Is getting the Tarab over the Icarus a mistake? Am I going to throw a bunch of money at something that’ll end up not working the way I want? lol

Fun fact, most heat guns use universal motors so they are actually great for dissipating a lot of energy from a battery. Hook up a 10-12s battery directly to the prongs of a heat gun, disregard polarity, turn it on and you can drain 300-500 watts continuous from a big pack.

6 Likes

Decks are too subjective to give good advice. Loaded decks are great. Just trust your experience and gut feeling!

Subjectivity yes but as a DIY newbie I am worried of making beginner mistakes like picking a deck with too much flex and having the battery bang, or wheel bite. I don’t own a tarab yet but want one so I don’t have riding experience on it yet

You want a safe option for a board, get a landyachtz evo lol

3 Likes

Buy a new one you cheap sod.

They are like 10 bucks.

My wife does resin art and kills one every 2 weeks

1 Like

The revel kit does not quite fit into the DIY category - I am not sure if anyone here has experience with it?

You Sir will be mentioned in dispatches

Good show that man!

4 Likes

Haha, yeah, it was not about money. I just liked this one and well, I like to fix my own stuff - that’s how I learn how stuff works ^^

1 Like

Just having a dig brother. :wink: The wife keeps picking hers up covered in resin so all the switches and handle etc set. I see them as a consumable at this point.

1 Like

If you want to be safe: get any flat (not drop, speak not LY Evo lol) longboard like the ones you have been looking at. If you get wheelbite, add risers. Don’t worry too much, just do. Mistakes are part of the fun.