Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

thanks

2 Likes

Press fit pulley have prongs that fit into wheel core. Regular pulley may use bolts or other methods

2 Likes

thanks, that clarifies a lot. so regular pulleyā€™s usually have a bolt, whereas press-fits just slide on and arenā€™t secured with a bolt. whats the advantage of press fit, more space maybe?

1 Like

It runs true without much work since it rests on a bearing thatā€™s on the axle.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s also bolt on pulleys that have integrated bearings.
The press fit ones have a cleaner look and make swapping pulleys a bit easier,
other than that they both do the job they are designed for.

Press fit pulleys and bolt-on pulleys that have integrated bearings need longer axles (e-caliber, TB218, BN220, 3DS fatboy, etc.) OR modification to the hanger, whereas bolt-on pulleys without integrated bearings usually work on normal hangers (Caliber, paris) without major modification to the hanger.

Press fit pulleys can be made to work with Caliber trucks but this means yo will need to extend the axle.
The easiest way to do this is to remove part of the hanger (usually with a dremel or lathe) to expose more of the axle inside the hanger.
Thereā€™s more info in the thread that @Linny linked to.

4 Likes

Push fit gently better tighter fit think precision trucks over cast.

Regular pulled often involve drilling out wheels and trying to bolt down a flat plate on to a wheel hub that is dished when itā€™s critical to get it perfectly perpendicular to the weheel

Push pullys have been designed to fit inside the hub to do this alignment for you but at the expense of cost

2 Likes

The only problem I foresee is hitting your foot on the wheel if you kick push. However, kickpushing is generally avoided with electric skateboards. I would not, however, put them the other way around.

Caliber II is about 184mm. The metric measurement (184mm) is the length of the hanger without the axles. The imperial measurement (10") includes axles.

2 Likes

speaking of which, on hubs ive read you can push if the battery dies, on belts you canā€™t. is this acurate?

You can push with both but the gearing and belts and larger motors add adishonal resistance over hubs,

Hubs are limited by motor size and heat because of there design generally resulting in less powerful setup

3 Likes

Anyone tried

47/15T on 145mm Bergs? With 170kv motors

What was your top speed like?

@CiscoV ?

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry brother. 200kv 18t since day one. Iā€™ve taken it to 45mph on 4wd with a little room left

On 2wd they feel good. Like drinking a flat coke ā€œno gas bubblesā€ lol. 4wd is where power kicks in.
Lower kv ā€œ170ā€ should be good on 2wd

5 Likes

Has anyone thatā€™s using trampas elastomere/barrels noticed a point where they get softer?

@Lee_Wright?

1 Like

Yes 100% they get softer/better after a couple of hundred miles

2 Likes

Is there any trick to tighten them down more/ increasing the hardness? The screw only screws into the black plug but not the barrels itself. Or should i just put a washer on top of the barrel to compress it more?

This is not accurate. Itā€™s a marketing gimmick, spread by companies that sell cheap hub motor boards. If anything, belt is better because you could always cut the belt off with a pocket knife. But you can still push with themā€¦

4 Likes

anyone have a link for 6x2 inner tubes. I have extras but the last two i replaced both failed at the stem. Iā€™m down to only two.

2 Likes

thxā€¦yeah i found those as wellā€¦I donā€™t think imma get them any cheaper .

1 Like

Not really thatā€™s much cheaper shipped from the US. Unless you want to wait months from china

2 Likes

If Iā€™m not trusting a board yet or believe I might need to go manual at some point cause of running out of power or whatever just bring a skate tool and can pop the wheel off and throw the belt in my pocket or bag (usually riding with backpack anyway to carry stuff). For pneumatics I wouldnā€™t really try kicking just drag that one but for the urethane build itā€™s a decent little cruiser without the power too. Havenā€™t tried hub motor so canā€™t speak to that really but there will always be more rolling resistance when you add a motor and windings on there (more weight so more energy to get it spinning, plus side will have some angular momentum/inertia once the motor is spinning but overall still putting more energy in and losing more to friction than with the drive separated).

3 Likes