Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Good point. Forgot about that ^^

1 Like

Yah for me itā€™s depends on build for the same reason, but yah if using individual bullets definitely easy and fast enough to do the physical swap to be worth it unless you are going for really tidy build with exact wire lengths for each phase.

Doing the phase wire change means less things to remember are strange if/when I I have to setup another vesc, also sometimes not as easy to access the USB port when things are stuck down.

3 Likes

Ill forever swap phase wires. On my Spuderoo I had set the ā€˜reverse via vesc toolā€™ but one day they just decided to switch back :man_shrugging: 0 rhyme or reason.

Thats when the board became FWD, but Ill never do that again.

5 Likes

Not sure if this goes in this thread or the metr thread since itā€™s kinda related to both. Is the max motor current on the app a combination of all the motors. (AWD in this case or just two). For reference. https://metr.at/r/9OzWp

im ready to cop the motors for my first build. iā€™ll be using caliber II trucks for a street build and am torn between dual 6355 Maytechs vs Torqueboards (sealed and sensored). the frequency with which Maytechs are praised here seems to outweigh TBā€™s, but someone commented that dual 6355 Maytechs wonā€™t fit/wonā€™t fit easily on Calliber IIā€™s bc of this nodule on the side, or something. 1. are these 2 brands my only options with this price range 2. which are better (more reliable) 3. I live in the U.K (any advice relating to buying motors to be shipped here wd be appreciated.)
(4. should i scrap dual 55ā€™s and hop on that 6396 GB and make a single motor buildā€¦im lightish - 11 stone/154 lbs/ 70kg). sorry derailed my question there. i know this is down to me, but im still a bit torn. priorities for build in order 1. torque 2. torque 3. looks cool

1 Like

My torqueboards 6355s fit just barely on cal 2sā€¦ The torque is so good it bucked my friend right off when he tried it.

1 Like

How to check your motorā€™s kv using the vesc tool?
I have some motors with no specs, so I would like to find this one please.

1 Like

damn. should i be concerned about using the 55ā€™s on my first build, will i struggle to assemble it with no prior experience?

Thereā€™s a formula based on the flux linkageā€¦ Iā€™ll add it when I find it. :stuck_out_tongue:
eDiT: lambda=60/(sqrt(3) * pi * n * kv)
Where n is your motorā€™s pole count (usually 14).
Rearranged to solve for kvā€¦
kv = 60/(sqrt(3) * pi * n * lambda)

Nahhhhā€¦ Theyā€™re not too tricky at all. What drive system are you using?

2 Likes

So itā€™s 60/ ? * 3.14 * 14 =kv?
also what is sqrt(3)?
What is lambda :D?

1 Like

sqrt(3) is the square root of 3. Lambda is the flux linkage (Ī»).
The formula arranged to solve for kv with would be:
kv = 60 / (76.179 * Ī»)

Thatā€™s assuming your motor has 14 poles. Count the magnets in the rotor to make sure :+1:

2 Likes

It makes it 0.173 so it means itā€™s 170 kv?

My motor flux linkage is around 4.54 on both motors

1 Like

Oh yeah forgot to mention flux linkage should be in Wb (webers) while the vesc reports in mWb (milliwebers).
Just multiply by 1000, so yes, your kv is 173. :+1:

3 Likes

belt drive, will probably use dickyho stuff, unless I decide to get the TB grab-bag that includes of all the parts i need thought about gear-drive, but too expensive for first build i think. what system are you using for the 55ā€™ build?

1 Like

Iā€™m using @Boardnamics mounts with 9mm beltsā€¦ I just want to make sure youā€™ll have enough space lol. Thereā€™s maybe 3mm between the cans on mine.

1 Like

ive not researched anything to do with belts yet. i already have the dickyho mounts tho =p

but did you consider Maytechs instead of TB? is there much of a difference between them?

1 Like

Maytech should fit as well, same total lengthā€¦
The TB motors are the ones I have personal experience with so I canā€™t compare fairly, but I will mention that the tbā€™s have 15A higher max current, and will probably ship faster given current events.

Edit: how thick are the dicky mounts?

2 Likes

Swap wires.

If the esc has an issue and reverts back to original settings, theyā€™ll still go the right direction.

2 Likes

the thin part looks like 6mm, the thick part is 12mm
however, just seen this other build im sort of using as a reference using dickyo, caliber IIs and TB, so i should be good. thanks for your help

No proballo.
Good luck on the build, hope it turns out well! :smiley:

1 Like