Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Trying to test a charge port before plugging it into my battery…I get weird reading am I doing something wrong I was expecting 50.4V on the miltimeter

I get 50.4 directly from charger. Also tested working charge port…got the same weird reading. Picture shows 0.00 cause charger is not plugged into the wall socket.

What reading do you get from the charger, 12s should be 50.4 and 10s should be 42.0v

Yes 50.4 from charger

Sorry I think im misunderstanding, whats the problem.

When I plug the charger into a charge port ( not connected to battery) and probe the charge port…I get weird readings

Just a tip worth knowing:

This setting is continuity. It basically just beeps at you or gives you a yes / no for if it gets a full circuit connection. On your unplugged charge port, this is a great test to make sure you didn’t short anything

I.e. No continuity when pack is unplugged

What readings do you get when it’s plugged into the charger?

Also make sure you have the right range set on the voltage reading.

Checked for cold solder joints or maybe a partially ripped wire?

Edit: what @BluPenguin said is very possible, I messed that one up for my AC-DC adapter this week.

Is your charge port the same pin size as the charger? It could be your charger is 5.5x2.5 and your charge port is 5.5x2.1 (or something like that etc)

so with the charger plugged into the wall and the multimeter hooked up to the charge port like it is in the picture i should be testing for continuity?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S5ZLFDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
charge port
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G9VHY8N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
charger
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KJD4J5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did you try another charge plug? Those metal unibody ones have higher chance of internal shorts. If the charger puts out perfect voltage before it’s pushed into a charge plug, it could mean the charge plug is shorting it and the charger is going into failsafe. If this is not the case, look into the charger side plug and check to make sure the spring pins are slightly protruding to make good contact with the pin

Ok I plugged everything in and its reading right now .

1 Like

Ayyyyyy, make sure you fuse that charge port because the 5.5x2.1 are probably the most likely connector to short.

Tested another charge port and got this reading…why does it say -50.4

No, continuity is just a yes or no, is current flowing.

It’s used to detect shorts normally. I was recommending using the continuity mode to check your charge port UNPLUGGED to make sure current isnt able to flow through with no charger plugged in.

It reads negative when you have positive and negative backwards. Check your wiring and make sure you didn’t connect any red to black by accident.

If not, look at your charger for a symbol that looks like this and take a photo

tAAzk

2 Likes

yes i did and that one reads -50.4

Looks like you have red/positive going to the center terminal here:

And maybe the external pin here:

If that’s the case, that makes sense why your signal is switched

1 Like

Stick the positive probe into the charger barrel center and put the negative probe to the outside. It should say 50.4, not -50.4. If it’s flipped, that means the charger internals are flipped. If that reads right, then the charging port wires are flipped.

1 Like

Ohh shyyt that’s the problem I wired the charge port wrong I ass-umed the middle was positive with reading charger.

wait a min the middle is positive right

Yes, middle is positive. Measure it at the barrel (without the charging port plugged in).