Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Are there any significant downsides to top-mounting the VESC in the rear in its own enclosure rather than having it in the battery enclosure underneath?

Only that it might be in your way if youā€™re trying to stand over the trucks/tail/wherever you put it on the deck. Take note if it will require longer battery wires, you may need to up the size.

1 Like

Thanks, I will be using an LY Evo so chances are that I wonā€™t be trying to stand there anyways.
The planned battery is 12s4p so 80A at most, while I havenā€™t measure the distance, I assume AWG10 or 12 should be enough from the BMS to the ESC.

1 Like

Did you get them like that? I got a bunch that are in single terminals that I just unpin for now. If they came unpinned that would be delightful

1 Like

Yupā€¦ lotta kwad suppliers supply kits with unpinned wires and misc. connectors

1 Like

Kinda dumb question but it seems most places I read the Samsung 18650 30Q battery has a continuous discharge of 15A. Yet in most packs they seem to have it rated at 20A. Is this a fine over estimation to make? For example a 12s4p everywhere seems to have the max cont discharge at 80A but shouldnā€™t it actually be 60A? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Samsung underestimated the max continuous discharge. Tests have shown that it can handle 20A well.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. That makes sense from both sides.

Thats definitely the way. I used the pins closest to the centre of the board but i donā€™t think it matters

2 Likes

here is just one I useā€¦

3 Likes

Thats awesome. Thank you. Those dupont crimps are universal for all jst connectors Iā€™ve seen.

The other size on the crimp tool always scares me.

1 Like

Could anyone confirm the bearing size for 10mm shaft matech motors?

Is it 10x22x6?

The weird part is I have used this bearing in my 8mm shaft maytech motors.

1 Like

No man that only works with the complete

1 Like

I danā€™t confirm the bearing size, but I can tell you that many motor suppliers use a shaft that is 10mm through the motorā€™s guts, and just grind/turn it down to 8mm for the output. That way 8mm shaft and 10mm shaft motors are 100% identical internally except for the stepped-down output shaft - Saves them a lot of money by eliminating internal differences.

4 Likes

Hey guys. Recently replaced a focbox in my r2. After replacing it everything worked. However, I was going to adjust some settings and was prompted to update the firmware on my vescs in the FOC tool and without thinking downloaded the unity firmware. The board no longer works and I am wondering if there is a way I can remove the firmware and replace it with the correct firmware?

Awesome, thanks!
Any idea where I can get just one jst connector for the connection? Canā€™t really justify getting a crimping kit just for one connectorā€¦ :confused:

1 Like

Hobbyking? :man_shrugging:

Iā€™ve had success with Amazon, but itā€™s usually a handfull (5, 10, etc) not just one. Still pretty cheap, and they can be useful in other things too though, so itā€™s not a complete waste.

You can also get pre-crimped wires and empty housings to build up your own connectors from Mouser or Digikey, if Amazon doesnā€™t have the specific ones you need.

1 Like

in the unity UI setup, do i enter split values for each side , or total ? sorry for the dumb question

edit: aaaand allready messed something up :joy:

clicked read current config to see the initial values, now i get red blinking and the unity shuts down after a few momentsā€¦ my luck

what to do now? it even powers off while on usb :pleading_face:

Total for battery, individual for motors.

Havenā€™t seen a unity error like that. Iā€™d ask @deodand as he is the master of all things unity.

I donā€™t think it comes pre programmed with values, you get those from your motor test. Did you run the test first?

1 Like