Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

You could do it like a caveman and just drill through and then use a longer screw with a nut on the other sideā€¦

A real noob question:
When manufacturers of VESC derivatives declare max amps, do those refer to battery amps or motor amps?
e.g. on a FSESC 4.12 50A: what are the maximum settings it can be run on safely?
Motor 50A
Battery 50A
Or
Motor 240A
Battery 50A

240a motors :flushed:

1 Like

Yeah, unlikely. It can do it in bursts though.
Also: are there VESC settings for both continuous and burst, or just continuous? How is max burst determined then?

Those numbers are battery current but are often exaggerated

1 Like

Thanks!
What are safe setting from peopleā€™s experience?

• Flipsky / Maytech 4.12
  • Flipsky 6.6 single
  • Focbox 1.6

I couldnā€™t find it (maybe itā€™s on the old forum, which is down)ā€¦

I donā€™t push stuff to the limits, I prefer reliability, but generally the 4.12 clones can do 30A (battery max) but not continuous, they will start throttling within 20 - 30 seconds if you push max juice for a while

The FOCBOX 1.6/1.7 can do 30A (battery max) all day long without throttling much or any

Motor max should be whatever your motor is rated for.

Iā€™m also kind of fat (97kg/215lb + gear = 115kg/254lb) and that matters too.

Once you get to speed, you only need high battery currents if

a) you are going up a steep hill
or
b) you want to maintain the top speed of the vehicle

otherwise your current will drop a LOT once you get rolling. Limiting your speed in software to ~95% of the vehicleā€™s maximum speed will save a ton a juice as well.

3 Likes

I assume this could be mitigated with a better heat sink?

I thought it was far more potent?

What are the safe ERPM limits?
Can you run a 4.12 with 190KV motors on a 12s Battery, as it is just below the 60kERPM, or does it need a margin.

Thanks you for your help, I am trying to pick a good battery/ESC/motor combo for my next build.

No, the 4.12 FETs dump heat into the PCB so itā€™s difficult to add heatsinking. :sob: Just one problem with the 4.12 design. The wrong side of the devices get hot.

The FOCBOX can do a lot more than that, but I donā€™t run them more than that. Maybe other folks can chime in :wink:

1 Like

No way! I was planning to put some heat sinks on themā€¦

You can add heatsinks and they do help but they are not as effective as semiconductor devices that are specifically designed for more power dissipation.

2 Likes

McMaster-Carr. Not the cheapest by far, but I guarantee they have what you need, and they ship FAST.

My personal assumption is that unless otherwise specified, whichever number hits that limit first, is the one they mean. And with most vesc derivatives, ā€œcontinuousā€ is a bit of an exaggeration due to poor heatsinking as Brian mentioned above. Even the (much better) 6.x versions with directFETs and a heat spreader tend to heat-soak after a while unless you have some way of removing heat faster than ambient convection.

1 Like

Hello
Wonder if anyone knows of any other big wide wheels apart from torqueboards?
Thank you

If your screw thread looks squared, then it has a defect and that runs not smoothly.(You can test that, if you reach the end of the thread without resistance. If you need more force to drive the screw in, you know , that youā€™ll have a defect thread.) Anything else was spoken above. I hope you understand my explanation.:smiley:

1 Like

When you set limits, what do about voltage drop as the battery drains?

If Iā€™m running 12s 190kv I guess I set the max erpm to 12 cells * 3.0v/cell * 190rpm * 0.95 * 7erpm/rpm = 45,486erpm?

1 Like

All this stuff came out of the mount holeā€¦any idea what it is? Looks like rust and clay, Iā€™m assuming itā€™s the coolant or lubricant from machining?

1 Like

McMaster is likely the shortest notice if youā€™re ordering online. Itā€™s a bit harder to find bottoming taps at places like home Depot, which really just sell sets of tapered taps.

If the universityā€™s got taps, why donā€™t you just take the part into the shop and do it there? No need to take it.

1 Like

Looking at a used dead battery boosed mini X board for a cheep price. But Google is not so helpful regarding itā€™s ESC and wat kind of Amps it can push.

Is it on par with the Meepo/Hobbywing ESC or is it more powerful?

Anyone knows what the rated amps are for that ESC.

Total and per motor.

Kind regards.

ā€¦and also everything they have is FUB and almost no metric. Not even a tape measure for fuckā€™s sake.

Basically, never use the big box stores at all if youā€™re in the USA. For anything. Except maybe silicone and pieces of wood.

2 Likes