Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Lol, I am lauging because thats exactly what I am going to do.

Goldfish memory.

1 Like

Stupid but important small question:
On a charge port cable, which one is usually the positive one? I assume the one with the specifications printed on it, but just wanna make sure…
For context, I am making a 5.5x2.1 to 5.5x2.5 adapter.

Just check with a voltmeter once you’ve taken off the barrel and stripped the cable back a bit, if you have the red probe on the positive wire then the voltage reading will be positive otherwise if it shows a negative number you are probing the GND cable and the black wire is hooked to positive.

Doh see you mean for the already bare part probably but yah same deal strip it back some plug in the power and see what’s what in general you want to wire so the positive goes to center of the barrel or pin and negative or GND goes to outside or jacket of barrel.

Use connectivity or short detection mode on a multimeter to determine which wire goes to which part of the barrel jack.

1 Like

Oh, yes! Thanks for reminding me!

Already soldered it, and guess what, it’s the other way round. Good I checked. Better be safe than sorry. Resoldering now.

1 Like

Et voila.

4 Likes

For future reference, barrel jacks are almost always center positive - the middle contact is positive, and the ring is negative. You can check which wire goes to which contact with a multimeter set to resistance or continuity.

1 Like

Thanks, yeah, I was aware of the barrel polarity, was just trying to figure out the cut cable and forgot about the existence of a voltmeter. ^^

1 Like

Important point is almost Not always. Best to check with a multi first and make damn sure.

5 Likes

Thank you!
But just to make sure, you can’t just randomly choose one of the 2 colours?
You have to check with a multimeter first, right? (top yellow can’t be cliped to bottom yellow for example)?

1 Like

I said almost always, as in there are exceptions. Hell, there are even a couple valid reasons to have it the other way! But I haven’t run into a center-negative barrel jack in the wild yet.

4 Likes

Can I get some confirmation that my unity settings are good?
I mean, they work ok, but I dont know if I can safely bump them up?

12s 6p 30q, charge only, maytech 6374 190kv x2, 110 wheels

Also, same setup on board 2, but maytech 6880 190kv x2

I’ve been searching about but cannot find exacting confirmation. I got this feeling I’m missing out!

It was more a point of making sure is all. Keep up the stellar work.

2 Likes

You can do 20amps per p group for 30q cells. So total 120amps to be divided per esc.

For braking a standard rule is 4amps per p group. You can go higher but 4amps is safe.

2 Likes

They have the standard 63mm motor mounting pattern – seems to be a 44mm diameter between the bolt holes.

uhm my new trucks won’t fit an evolve cgt (the baseplate is too big).
Should i route it toward the center of the deck or the tip?

Also… i have never routed it my life but i got all the tools.
What increment of depth should i do at a time?

And i heard the carbon fibre when cut is nasty so i will wear a mask :wink:
@Arzamenable?

What truck is it

1 Like

@moon tb 220 :grin:
I have about 6mm to shave off. I am thinking 3mm off each end?
if i only do one end then the bolt holes won’t be aligned but that is an easy fix

1 Like

Would think go towards the center more but I’m not super familiar with the deck, regarding depth of cut in general less is more when it comes to routing you end up with a cleaner cut if you’re willing to do it in a few passes I think about 1/8th inch to 1/4 inch plunge at a time is pretty safe but basically less material removed per turn of the router bit the less heat build up and the cleaner it should cut.

1 Like

That is what i was thinking. the more foward the more stress on the drop down. I have heard that it has cracked, but that was a bad batch i think and it is super rare.

That sounds good, but i must mention that this is a dremel router.
A dremel 3000 with a router adapter.

1 Like

Think it will be okay only difference with that and a “real” router I think is the extra torque from a bigger motor, found something a bit more definitive than my gut feeling :smiley:
https://public.tableau.com/profile/willadams#!/vizhome/Carbide3DCNCFeedsandSpeeds/Sheet1?publish=yes
Says .5mm (about 1/8th inch) depth of cut and some other speeds and feeds info for a machine (just think like a machine)

Doing searching on this lots of cautionary measures taken by people doing this industrially so definitely take care mask up and do it somewhere with good airflow (outside probably)

1 Like