Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

@Jordicious did you see i reserved an esc for you?

This seems like the wisest course of action :slight_smile:
I have indeed heard nothing but good things about TB products, so Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll hold out for a bit until we at least know more about what those will look like.

3 Likes

And the bell is perfectly round?

According to my calipers and eye its as round as I can tell. It spins fine under power its just wobbly and the less wobbles the better.

Motor shaft bent?

1 Like

I doubt it.

I ride regular so keep that in mind when looking at these photos.

My front foot stays mostly the same angle no matter the speed. It stays around 30Ā° off from perpendicular to the deck.

When I really start hitting speed, I shift my weight on to the front foot a lot and my back foot actually rolls inside.

Idk if you have ever seen @MoeStoogeā€™s wedge on top of his deck but he plants his foot on it to accelerate freakishly fast. I faux wedge my foot on the rear binding to blast off.

This position gives you very little turning control on your rear foot and makes for very stable speed runs

2 Likes

@b264 for some reason only 1 motor is detecting hall sensors now that I use two receivers couldnā€™t you help please

What is the best fix and did you have this problem

Well found problem gonna have to try crimping

1 Like

If you can pull the solder blob off the PCB, then itā€™s not passable. That joint looks cold to me - You can tell by the sharp border between the solder blob and the pad. It should wet out and form a smoother transition.

A properly done joint, when pulled apart, will leave almost all the solder on the pad and just the wire will rip out of the solder. It will take quite a bit of force.

4 Likes

@MysticalDork does it matter when you solder a pcb (let say bms) and the solder goes through the hole onto the other side?
I donā€™t have a photo or probleme, just wondering if this can cause an issue

Really depends on the specific PCB.

On most PCBs, the holes are plated through anyway so having solder go through wonā€™t short anything out. In some cases like vias, adding solder can actually be desirable as it increases the thermal or current carrying capacity.

3 Likes

another question then, i have a new evolve escā€¦other one brokeā€¦
one of the phase wires of the motor came off the esc on the old one. do we assume that all the solders are bad quality and that i should remove the solder with desoldering braid and resolder them?
I will share a photo tomorrow

1 Like

Hi so I managed to break one of the hall sensors on 1 of my motors by some of the wires ripping out

Having a massive struggle crimping them and wondering what my options are

Do you need hall sensors for Foc sensored or are they just for measuring the values

As in when you ride do you need the hall sensors plugged in

1 Like

@PixelatedPolyeurthan I would resolder them just to be safe, but itā€™s not necessary to remove the existing solder - just melt whatā€™s there and add a bit of new solder and flux to help things wet out.

@Halbj613 I donā€™t know if sensors are needed for FOC, but they definitely help. Theyā€™re not just for setup/calibration. If your ESC is set up to use sensors, and you donā€™t have a full working set, that can cause streetface. If you donā€™t have working sensors, the best course of action is to set your controller for sensorless, and unplug the sensors.

2 Likes

In sensorless is it push to start

Not always

2 Likes

How do I know whether it is push to start or not

How can I make it not push to start?

Whats wrong with push to start?

I run sensorless and if you careful enough you can setoff without pushing but at that point you might aswell push

1 Like

I live in quite a crowded area so I am constantly stopping and starting

Is there a way to do sensorless not push to start

Also if one motors sensors work the next could that be an option or not really