Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I got some questions on risers

My planned setup is gonna have a MTB deck with 16 degree mounting faces, but it makes turning kinda hard so I’m gonna level it out (TKP trucks). I was thinking of the 15 degree Khiro rails for lack of option.

It seems that the way that are made will make the hole spacing on the angles face different lengths than the flat face and the screws will not sure perpendicular to both surfaces. Can anyone validate how they (or a similar product) will behave?

It also seems like the rail system will not be stable under stress and the baseplates will shift relative to the deck when under lateral force, does anyone know if this is how they actually behave?

If you have any other cheap recommendations besides printing, LMK

3 Likes

Are you using mini remote?

I second faster XD

1 Like

It happened to me, @Mikenopolis hit it right on.

Thanks. I will try that.

I think I didn’t describe the problem well. The remote runs the skateboard fine - throttle, stop, etc. If I power the remote off with the loopkey still in, then a couple seconds later the motors start and spin up to full speed. This is all on the bench.

1 Like

No. Hoyt St. Puck.

That totally happened to me once. No one figured it out. I did rebind the remote and receiver. Then I redid the vesc remote trim detection…I also had split PPM at that time and I decided to switch back canbus. Not sure which of these fixed it but it did ¯_(ツ)_/¯

In the VESC configuration you can change what happens in a timeout situation. Also can look at the real-time control ppm input data to see if the receiver is sending a high throttle signal when powering off the remote.

Generally receiver should start sending idle signal when it loses transmitter.

1 Like

That’s the fail safe setting. You want it set to neutral or zero RPM.

1 Like

I redid the VESC process in the order @KaramQ specified. I must be blind. Under APP Settings:General: I found a setting for Timeout (at 1000 ms). There was a setting for Timeout Brake Current (0.00 A). I don’t see a setting for failsafe RPM. There is a definite delay before the motors start spinning up so it must be the Timeout. Still having the same problem. I am using version 1.13 of the tool.

I feel like I am hitting peak noob here.

1 Like

Get the Ackimaniac 3 ESC Tool, it’s vastly simpler and the config options are more logically laid it.

Same result with the Ackmaniac ESC Tool. I emailed Hoyt St. customer support to see if they have any ideas. The write up he did on the other forum talks about using the Timeout Brake Current to stop this but I set it and it didn’t matter.

1 Like

That’s weird. I’ll get screen shots of the too tomorrow, something you can match up against.

Yah would turn on RT App and look in the app configuration where it will show ppm in the bottom of the screen… Will see if I can get a screenshot here, but would check to see if it’s showing idle input from the receiver or not to see if it’s an issue with the transmitter/receiver or config in VESC.

See that bar at the bottom when you disconnect remote, if it jumps then receiver is giving it throttle up signal. You could maybe do some things in config still to stop it from accepting jumping signals but best to have the receiver just sending idle when transmitter disconnects.

1 Like

I am going to hold off goofing with this any more until I temporarily install a pushbutton switch. Pulling the loopkey with the wheels turning full blast is no fun.

At least I know my drive train is ready to go.

1 Like

Is Blue Loctite 242/Red 271 good enough?

What exactly happened there ?

You need to set the failsafe first, then set your PWM (“PPM”) center and deadband in the VESC Tool.

Make sure when you turn the remote off, it goes to idle.

3 Likes

They have hoyt puck remote but deadband is a good point too increase that if it’s just going a bit above idle when transmitter is disconnected. Deadband increases the range in percent around idle that is considered idle.

1 Like