Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Unfortunately people seem to stare, maybe it has something to do with the lack of clothes while riding

1 Like

I first read this as an innocuous ā€œkeep it to yourselfā€ deal, but on reflection it feels very T. Bundy.

2 Likes

giphy-4

1 Like

Iā€™ve also had boards on for months on end, but not as long as @DerelictRobot. You just have to make SURE you donā€™t forget to plug them in, and you have to hope the charger doesnā€™t break. Unless they are discharging through a BMS, anywayā€¦

1 Like

voltage confusionā€¦ok when i keep my same setup(60/16t, 6374s 190Kv, 152mm wheels) but go from a 12s6p to a 10s8p top speed goes from 44.5 mph (12s) to 37.1 mph (10s). but what i find interesting is if i change the wheel pulley to 40t on 10s my top speed goes to 55.6 mph. my question is then why donā€™t most people stick with 10s and just change the gearing. seems most of the hardware i read about says itā€™s rated for this and that but they always seem to ā€œlikeā€ 10s better, fewer problemsā€¦etc. am i missing something here? I have such bad luck with batteries. I think iā€™m reading to much about the subject. To much information to process into meaningful shyyt, if that makes sense. 98% of my riding is in the city

Trading torque for top speed when you change the pulley or gear ratio. 10S is electrically safer than 12S since components on the VESC are rated around 60V and any little jump in voltage (a quick voltage spike or peak) and can fry a component. 10S to me is just leaving margin for tolerances and spikes, 12S is pushing the VESC. For gear ratio all depends what top speed you want and how much low speed torque youā€™re willing to trade.

2 Likes

I find that gearing gets ignored in favor of voltage, bit sure why. That being said, itā€™s about to be irrelevant with a couple of high voltage VESC derivative on the horizon.

4 Likes

high voltage VESCā€¦what will that mean for lower voltage setup like 10s

1 Like

what happens if you change the the motor pulley does that impact torque as well.

No thing. Letā€™s assume you can have a pack up to 80v, all that beans is you can have now voltage, which means using Jess Amos for the same torque/speed. You can still use a 42v pack with zero downside. Itā€™s just more efficient to use higher voltage.

3 Likes

lower voltageā€¦ iā€™ll be stressing the cell moreā€¦less efficient correct?

Higher voltage means lower current (amps) to deliver the same watts (power). Higher current is more loss as heat due to electrical resistance in components.

2 Likes

yes thatā€™s what iā€™m thinking just lacking the terminology. thx now i know. what can components be made from that would have 0 electrical resistance?

1 Like

0 resistance or near it is only possible with super (cooled) conductors everything else has some resistance I believe silver might be lower resistance than copper but can look up some resistance lists on Wikipedia or use Wolfram alpha to compare broadly. In general just adding more cross section to a wire lowers the resistance but for other components it depends on what they are made of and how they are made (resistors are usually thin wire wrapped around ceramic, electrolytic capacitors are sheets of conductor separated by an insulator rolled up).

This is the other thing super cooling does :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/X5EoUD-BIss

2 Likes

Iā€™m gonna dig inā€¦interesting stuff indeed.

2 Likes

For general brush up or learning on electrical stuff too think Khan Academy is pretty decent site, mostly just ohmā€™s law stuff but Kirchoff and a few others are good to think about sometimes too. If you prefer video YouTube channel here is good for theory stuff too:

2 Likes

thx for the info think I have the Khan app on my phone iā€™ll check it out.

2 Likes

One motor seems stickier than the other. I took the wheels and belts off, and took a video of the cans spinning down. Should I try to get the c-clip off the motor, and try to service the bearing in there? Or should I just buy a new 6374 motor.

1 Like

DId you try a hand test?

What does step 6 yield?

What happens if you switch which motor is connected to which ESC?

Are you running sensorless?

Yes. As the speed goes up, the torque goes down (assuming constant motor power). Since power is torque times RPM, as RPM increases torque must decrease for the same power.

1 Like