Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I hope your charge port has a fuse on it.

1 Like

It alteast looks like it. The Negative on the charger looks melted and the positive of the board looks a bit molten.

2 Likes

I think @xsynatic is right after looking at the photo again. He likely plugged it in the wrong way, using force. How old is your brother? Is the charge port fused?

Put one of these on it ASAP

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/576-099707.5WXN

1 Like

man that was scary.

Bring it in man. Bring it in, lets hug this out.

4 Likes

CHarge port is fused and he claims as it touched they just sparked he never actually fully plugged it in

Will I have to replace the fuse and the xt connectors

1 Like

Will the female xt connector Be ok

So I opened the fuse and it is blown

I was wondering whether a 2.5mm jack for charging would work as I have that connected to my battery currently

I charge at 8 amps

I have a 10s battery and would like you guys to comfirm that that the voltage is correct
3.6V | 7.2V 10.9V | 14.6V | 18.3V| 22.0V | 25.7V | 29.3V | 33.0V | 36.7V

Xt60=35.8V
Xt60 positive and negative B- = 36.7V

This definitely saved your skate from meltdown.

A 5.5mm x 2.1mm will work great. I would avoid 5.5 x 2.5.

Well, this changes a lot. I wouldn’t use 5.5 x 2.1 or 5.5 x 2.5. An XT30 or XT60 is a good option. Also make sure you are using a 10A - 15A fuse and not the 7.5A I linked above.

I would normally suggest a 15A fuse but since you have not answered the other question I asked, then maybe try a 10A one to be a little safer.

2 Likes

@Andy87 was told you might be a good person to some battery advice.

My current setup is below with a really budget battery (10s5p) that is just crap when it gets down to 37-38 volts which at times can be right after 5-6 miles. So I was told 30q batteries might be way to go. I have some knowledge on what is needed was just wondering if you can give me recommendations on some quality 30Q cells for a reasonable price also if I should keep the 10s5p or can get away with less prehaps. I have space for 50 cells with my current enclosure. Hoping to get 15-20 miles ideal would be 25.

V1.1 Dual Belt Motor Sine Wave FOC ESC Electronic Speed Controller 6S 24V / 7S 29.4V / 10S 36V

11’’ Off-Road All Terrian Electric Skateboard Power Truck and Non-power Front Truck Kit with four 8’’ 20050mm Pneumatic Tires and Dual Belt-Drive 4000W(2000W2) N6354 Out-runner Motors

With this crappy battery that I want to replace asap with some quality 30Q cells pack.

10S5P 36V 10AH 360WH 50cells, with BMS built-in the battery pack

Where are you based? do you have a spot welder?

I wish and I’m in Seattle

Plan is to get holders or those clip things I’m willing to test my theory with those setups that way I can access cells in case something is wrong in future. I’ve heard both good and bad things on those setups. Reliable cells and good bms is one thing I am not too knowledgeable about. Also I have not tested or ran on regular vs 30Q cells so I need all the help I can get. Hoping to keep it the battery build around 200$ total but I am willing to spend a bit more if needed.strong text

you can find everything you need to know by using the search funtion. There are plenty of threads about batteries.

If you say that then you might have not done enough research.

BTW @b264 can you check your DM’s :blush:

30Q is the most popular battery in use ATM. Are there other good options? Yes. But from a price/performance standpoint, hard to beat.

1 Like

@PixelatedPolyeurthan I understand completely and if you want to just not respond that’s ok too. I work 50 hours a week so what I did is contributed to the forums monthly costs and don’t mind doing it. And I don’t like to be lazy but I don’t have hours and hours to search all treads sadly. Figure I will ask if I get a few “do some research” responses that’s ok and I’d leave it be . But if I knew something a person was asking and can answer it quick to save that person hours and hours of reading. i will tell them to save time researching and more time riding. Not trying to press buttons honestly

2 Likes

alright. I will bite. whats your budget? and you want to build your own battery or pay someone to do it for you?

How much do you weigh? at 5p, you might be able to get away with cheaper cells.
how much range do you want? and do you have a lot of hills around you?

2 Likes

I understand. I do apologise if I was a bit arrogant. I prefer being a slight bit but i saw you joined a day ago and that is where my assumption of ‘‘laziness’’ came in.

I agree with that Philosophy. I do that myself :laughing:.

After all that,
Welcome to the Forum :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

@mutantbass thank you so much

Would like to build my own it really interests me i have a auto background… and even though it might not sound like it haha I’m fairly mechanically incline.

250$ max with all materials, I have basics for soldering and stripping wires but would need the holders, wiring, shrink-wrap, BMS and cells . I have a 42volt charger from this crappy battery but might need to get a new one of those so I can add to that 250 a bit for charger.

I weigh 180. Range 15-20 semi consistent I’m ok with 25 would be amazing current setup is fast! I barely ever max it out so top speed I really am not going crazy over 20-25 mph is plenty. Just throwing that out there. Hills yes but when I hit them it’s on and off and nothing crazy. With more hills I expect significant drop in range.

Have you seen this “10S4P, 36V 12.8Ah LG MH1 cells” battery for $200?

https://metro-board.com/e-skate-shop/battery-metroboard/

With shipping, that’s just under 250.

4 Likes

I completely understand and if I was one of you guys that have been here for some time I would most likely say the same. That is why when I saw donate now I’m like yes!! These guys know there s**t and I would like to pick their brains so I contribute and maybe it works out.

Living here I’m addicted to snowboarding but off season I need to keep my carving going and when I got on this board I was addicted so I’m not going anywhere :-). Plan to stick around the forum and long as you guys will have me of course.

3 Likes