Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

i’d love to buy this stuff by the gallon…

heres a masterful thread on loopkey :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I saw that the torqueboard’s direct drives almost cost as much as a dual 6374/6380 drive. The 90kv version looks nice, but I don’t understand how the direct drives can go faster than a dual belt drive. 45mph!! Does a dual belt drive have more torque?

90kv with a 120mm tire 1:1 has the same thrust and almost the same top speed with the same motor current limit as 190kv with 2.1:1 reduction, same 120mm tire.

the downside of using 90kv 1:1 instead of same size 190kv 2.1:1 would be to get the lower kv, the resistance and consequently copper loss and heating will be close to ~4x higher per motor for the same acceleration with the direct drive or hub motors…

so unless you use twice as many motors, in which case the 4wd direct drive heating per motor will be the same as the 2 motor gear reduction system for the same acceleration, then the motor heating in the 1:1 system will be close to ~4x higher for the same performance (same size same # of motors).

3 Likes

Play with the esk8 calculator linked from the top bar above.

Be it known though, that top-speed and torque are a trade-off, you trade one for the other for a given amount of power (motor/ESC/battery power)

2 Likes

What should I put on the amps. I don’t see any information about that on torqueboard’s webpage on the 12s4p. And how many poles, efficiency, wh/km does 6374/6380/direct drive have.

The Tb 12s4p uses Samsung 30qs so you can find that info on a data sheet.

Efficiency just determines your loaded speed, I don’t bother with it too much. Leave as default.

Typical esk8 motors have 14 poles or 7 pairs.

Avg energy use helps calculate your range. Urethane for me is somewhere around 13wh/km, ~17 wh/km on pneumatics. I weigh 165lbs. So watthours of your pack / avg energy use helps gives you an idea of what your range would be.

1 Like

TB’s battery uses Samsung INR18650-30Q cells so for that specific cell,

conservative: 7.5A continuous, 15A max per cell
normal: 10A continuous, 15A max per cell
aggressive: 15A continuous, 20A max per cell

In a 4P configuration all those numbers will get multiplied by 4.

4 Likes

Does the torqueboard’s belt motors have more torque than the direct drive 90kv?. I don’t know how you can see the torque on the esk8 calculator.

1 Like

For torque use the 3Dservisas calc but the esk8.news calc is more than enough for most questions.
@torqueboards Can help you out on his motors. It depends what you want to build. I don’t think i would put the direct drives on a mtb. For me is more of a street/AT setup

1 Like

Here I compared Torqueboard’s two direct drives (75 KV and 90kv) and the 6374 and 6380. All with 110mm wheels and 12s4p battery.

The lower the kv, the higher the motor torque per motor amp, so in all likelihood, the direct drive motors have more torque than the belt drive motors.

But a belt drive gives you more torque anyway because of the gearing!

1 Like

Now I’m confused…

a 190kv motor with 2.1:1 reduction and 120mm tire has the same wheel torque as 90kv 1:1 direct drive also 120mm tire, with the same motor current.

190kv / 90kv = 2.111…

they also have nearly the same top speed. i say nearly because when the motor puts out close to 3000w of mechanical power, performance wise you will barely notice when the losses jump from ~50w with the 190kv to ~200w with the 90kv, for example.

The Direct drive MOTORS have more torque beacuse of the low KV. But if you use a 6380 motor (non direct drive) you will get mor torque from the gearing (pulleys and stuff).

2 Likes

that depends on the gear ratio chosen.

@Alvin you can’t go wrong with either setup. IMO if you want to use All Terrain Tires personally I’d go with a belt drive setup because you have the option to change gearing ratios.

If you don’t ever plan on going AT Tires then direct drive will be awesome.

Both setups are more than enough torque for most builders. Riders who go 30-35+mph that use to use belt drive some have switched to direct drive and didn’t see much loss of performance if any. The free roll and smoothness of accelerating on a direct drive was worth it.

12S4P on either setup should get around 25-30 mile range.

1 Like

That seems odd for the 6380. did you change the W of each motor
Edit
nvm that just depends on gearing as @filipandre said. If you go for a 16t (or even 18/20t) motor pulley you will have a really good top speed. the lower the t the more torques=less speed. Don’t go below 14t though or the belt will slip.
What is your budget and what type of build do you want?

1 Like

Just to be clear, around what speed can the direct drives go up like a 30% hill.