Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Can I leave the sensors plugged in and run sensorless without issues?

1 Like

Anyone know what these sounds are?

@Flasher A couple ideas: tires squeaking on their beads, wheel pulleys shifting slightly and squeaking against the wheels, or switching noise from the vesc. Or squeaky bushings - a little wax will sort that out.

@whaddys Yeah, should be fine.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention its only one side and under load

@longhairedboy saw these beauties on fb

Would you consider eventually selling them alone (without a complete)?

1 Like

Those are just MayTech 6374s with a custom decal

2 Likes

I know. I want the decal :slight_smile: gives it a special touch

3 Likes

BLDC can run sensorless, hybrid, or sensored. Most folks mean hybrid when they say “sensored”.

I can’t tell for sure, but is it the can (rotor) slipping on the axle? I’ve had that happen with almost every brand of motor.

@b264 Doesnt seem loose :confused: also never touched the grubs on that motor

1 Like

Never touching the grubs by no means equates to not slipping :wink:

But if they’re tight then I don’t know. Is the pulley slipping on the axle?

1 Like

@b264 Maybe? I’ll have to dismantle it to see if the 2 pulley grub screws are loose. Wouldnt be extremely surprising but dont think the pulley can slip even if it wanted to. I kind of broke the motor axle…by putting one of the grubs in the keyway and expanding the keyway

Little girl screams as you rip your toenails off???

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hello! Noob question:

Both my second hand 4.12s won’t turn on after connecting it to the rest of my circuit. Have checked polarity & resoldered a few times. Is there anything I should test to verify they’re dead and not that I’m overlooking something? Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Is there something like Belt whine?

The sound only appears while accelerating and with a load.

Did they turn on prior to that?

Did you verify with a multimeter (careful not to short anything) that there is power on the VESC power wires?

Have they ever been connected in the wrong polarity?

When should you get big motors over small motors?

What are the biggest advantages and when don’t you need big motors?

Context of the question is a dual setup.

Big motors are heavy but they run cooler.

I use the biggest motor possible on single-drive setups. My new favorite is the @torqueboards 6380.

On dual setups, dual 5065 will work fine, dual 6355 is plenty, and dual 6374 is almost overkill. It depends how much weight you want to add. The bigger ones perform better, but are heavier, larger, and more costly.

3 Likes

I read somewhere that motors run most efficient when there the load is around 75%.

What do they exactly mean by this? Do they mean motor amps? So for a 80 amps max motor if you put it at 60 amps it runs most efficient?

1 Like

That’s a question for @professor_shartsis

2 Likes