Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

@ZachTetra Iā€™ve only ever ridden them with chinesium esc. Dont know how I would manage to set them up in a vesc. Wish I could to up their potential speed. Most Iā€™ve gotten out of these with chinesiums is 38.15km/h

These ran on a cheap controller, a Unity for a short time, back to the cheapo, now to a FSESC, and soon back to the cheapoā€¦never hit 22mph (38km/h?) but thatā€™s mostly because the battery has 5v of sag in the first 10m of riding

You will need the following tools probably

• drill w/ bits
  • soldering iron
  • heat gun
  • cutters/wire strippers
  • skate tool
  • hex tool set/screw drivers
5 Likes

Idk if itā€™s technically a tool, but every color of loctice is pretty much necessary

3 Likes

You will also need a bunch of materials

• loctite in many colors
  • heatshrink in lots of sizes
  • solder with flux
  • extra nuts and washers
  • all the silicone wires
  • a variety of connectors
  • foams/rubbers for padding
  • silicone to seal things
3 Likes

@ZachTetra With the koowheel battery, I have 5 minutes of 23mph before dropping to 22mph. When I hit 10% battery left, it goes down to 14mph until it dies and then only brakes.

My best tools are a pencil and paper. Everything single thing will work better if planned ahead. Every wiring I did was drawn first to make sure I wasnā€™t screwing up something or had forgotten to put a fuse somewhere (@b264). If you draw it first you can refer to it later when building and even after if you need troubleshooting :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got a off brand 10s2p, at 10% left it goes below 7mph because it only gives 1 or 2 amps. I hate it

1 Like

@GlitterSpitter A multimeter is also pretty much a necessity for working on EVs. Doesnā€™t have to be a multi-hundred-dollar Fluke, but without some way to check continutity, current and voltage, youā€™re effectively blind when troubleshooting.

@drone001 7 pole pairs, 14 magnets total. Dunno about remote.

@ZachTetra Ride your board, get a GPS speed measurement and then change the number until the calculated speed matches your GPS speed.

6 Likes

thx muchā€¦

Hi, Iā€™m currently building my first board, but I have a weird noise in my motors. Does anyone know what that is and how to solve it?

My current motor configuration:

Sounds like theyre cogging . Usually happens to me when I give a very slight push on the throttle. Is your photon well calibrated and centered properly?

2 Likes

Disregard this comment, oops

How do you check kv on unknown motors?

Yeah, @Flasher is probably right. Set up your PWM (ā€œPPMā€) pulselength center/min/max in the VESC Tool. Maybe increase your deadband by 2% only if you canā€™t correct the center point.

2 Likes

I did calibrate the remote with the build in calibrator of the remote, I will try to increase the deadzone of the throttle, see if that helps.

Iā€™m not using the PPM mode of the remote, but Iā€™m using UART signals. How would that apply in this mode?

If youā€™re using UART then pulselength is not applicable.

1 Like

Make sure during calibration that your center is dead center. Completely stupid he (wajdi) decided it was logical to click the joystick during calibration. Otherwise, increase deadband a good number. Test it. if no cogging decrease the deadband till it works for your needs :slight_smile: I canā€™t help you much for nowā€¦ kinda having a small problem with my photon.

It even likes imaginary chargers ever since the fire

1 Like

Yeah the click during calibration is pretty stupid. Did you give your photon a paint job?

Increasing the deadzone did not help, it still happens. The issue also happens when not in the neutral zone. I also happens when braking or running the motor. If it happens when the motors are spinning acts as a brake.

almost positive itā€™s 14 poles, most motors for esk8 are

2 Likes