Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

yes, grease is the best for a bearing

1 Like

Ok @kook I am desparate to ride, I wonā€™t use wd :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

are two condoms a good idea?

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Right so a while back I bought a Turnigy 6364, 190 KV motor, thoughts being iā€™d buy a new one when I was ready but I now canā€™t find them available anywhereā€¦ If I canā€™t find one I guess I need to look into getting more :expressionless:. Has anyone got any good motor suggestions?

Iā€™ve had a look at alien power systems and have heard good things.
Alternatively I could go bigger and go with Turnigys 6374, 192 KV motors but iā€™m worried about the holes in the top filling with sand.

Also, anyone want to buy a 6364 for single drive haha :laughing:

Any help is welcome, Thanks.

So the phase wires are all conected
And when shorting 2 phases with a piece of wires the resistance to roll is much bigger

So I guess then the esc is dead?

1 Like

I saw ā€œCharge modeā€ feature on a new VESC based controller:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=99621

Basically it turns the controller into a boost converter and you could use any DC power source to charge you battery through motor phase wires.
This seems like a super cool feature to have.
Does it need specific hardware changes, or is it purely sw thing?

1 Like

I donā€™t see anything to indicate that controller is VESC-based or VESC-compatible. Where do you see that?

If itā€™s VESC-based, the source code should be available if the product is shipping.

3 Likes

@b264

edit: also if you watch the video in the controller thread you can see him straight up using VESC tool.

5 Likes

I agree, thereā€™s no way that thing is vesc based.
Just looking at the video of it was enough but alsoā€¦
30S input voltage?
676A peak phase current?
I donā€™t think any vesc derivative is at those levelsā€¦

Edit: the firmware at least seems to be vesc based but the hardware is still probably not.

Ah, well in that case once they start shipping just ask to see the source code and hardware schematics, and we can answer all those questions. I think it should be a software only thing most likely.

1 Like

dc charge on a vesc based esc doesnā€™t seem far fetched to me.

a vesc based esc already:
*can be used to drive brushed dc motors,
*can be used to drive three phase brushless motors, and
*can be used to charge a battery with mechanical input through a three phase brushless motor

i donā€™t see why it canā€™t be used to charge a battery with mechanical input through a brushed dc motor

and if thatā€™s the case, itā€™s not much of a stretch that it can be used to charge a battery with direct dc input through the phase wires

1 Like

As far as my basic understanding goes the the vesc software is written to work with the DRV chipā€¦ if the 130v PV controller isnā€™t based around that design then I think it would have been easier for him to rewrite everything from scratch. But since he was using VESC tool then I think the changes werenā€™t that big.

Thats what I also was thinking.
How awsome would it be if in the future you could charge your skate in the back of your car from the 12v lighter socket :wink: Or lets say your chinese aliexpress charger shits the bed (and hopefully doesnā€™t burn your house down), you could macgyver something up and sill get a charge.

You guys donā€™t hold your skateboard wheels to your car tires and utilize regen braking?

For real though, before covid broke out, Iā€™d taxi between golf carts in my neighborhood holding the brakes down. I wonder how much I actually recouped :thinking:

3 Likes

Think i can use my cheap 25W Weller soldering iron to solder 5mm Bullet Connectors to my ESC? Or will i need something a bit beefier?

1 Like

Will take hours to heat up and is as safe as holding a polish new years cracker in your handā€¦ Nobody will recommend you to use it. But just try it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kind of what I thought, thanks for confirming. Iā€™ll buy a new one

1 Like

Iā€™m using a cheapo 60W one. And I hate myself for it. Itā€™s so shittyā€¦ Takes an eternity to heat up, the control of the temperature is not working great, the list goes on. Depending on how often youre going to need to solder, you might consider spending more. But I think you will need to solder sooner or later so better buy once than twice :slight_smile:

1 Like

For loop key, it shouldnā€™t matter if itā€™s on the + rail or the ground rail right?

afaik it doesnā€™t really matter but most put it on +.

I did it on Negative, asked for some input and all were talking about putting it on positive. I then resoldered it to positive.

1 Like