Apex jump drives to other wheels?

there is and I am keen to put my pentagrams on a set of jump drives. We will make an adaptor to take some bolt on wheels in the future, but the community is in safe hands with Phil at the moment.

5 Likes

This, I think, is going to be really important. Compatability is the spice of life for DIY, and only being compatible with 3 specific models of wheels (which can change at any time since they are from other vendors) is, in my opinion, going to limit the appeal of these drives.

Looking forward to seeing what y’all and Phil and others will do to address compatibility! Clearly these drives have stirred up a lot of enthusiasm :metal:

5 Likes

Small update. I made some time to work on fitting the Meepo Cyclone 165 hubs to the jump drives. It’s kind of a pain, as the five rear spokes I plan to grab onto are slightly tapered from the center to the outer diameter, and the intent is to have a slight press fit. But all shall be alright. I think I have dimensions accurately measured, so I will machine a sample to check the fit. (Yes a thought about printing one, but, mehh, I like to live on the edge) Also, the next fit is the @tomiboi hubs. He already provided me with the model, so that will be easy. I’m thinking there is a chance that I could make one adapter to work with both, but, that is yet to be determined.
If interested, I’ll share my procedure in measuring the meepo hubs…
First, I find the center of the hub using an indicator.
Second, I used an edge finder to measure the thickness of the spokes at 22mm from center, then 32mm from center, in the Y axis. This gives me the angle (ish). Then I make a model using my findings, and hope for the best! :sweat_smile:
Pics along the way…

12 Likes

Here are the adapters I’ve made to adapt the jump drives to Meepo Cyclone hubs…
The adapter is 51mm diameter, 17.8mm long. There is 6mm of engagement into the five spokes on the back side, with no play, and they use the same screws as provided by apex for the mbs adapter.

23 Likes