Anything Direct Drive related (SERIOUS)

He’s tested it on 4WD if I’m not mistaken. @Ahrav ran it on 4WD too.

2 Likes

I am already at 75A per motor, 70A for the battery (I can push to 80A for the battery, but the 50E aren’t made to pull more than that)

1 Like

For science, and my wallet, I would like @DerelictRobot to try on 2WD 60KV if he has time :smiley:
@ahrav is on 4WD 90KV with AT wheels, and he says he has plenty of torque, might be the way to go

2 Likes

Just increase the motor current, leave the battery as is, you will have more torque, but will tapper down early

Just make sure you have the motor temperature sensors working so you don’t cook them accidentally

Unless mistaken, the DD are rated for 80A max, @torqueboards correct ?

He’s offline now but here’s some user information about the TBDD and talking about outrunner 6380’s:

Yeah but it depends on the Kv

A higher Kv motor can take more current for the same heat loss

Motors are rated for torque, the different Kv options only change at what current and speed that torque can be produced

For example, if you went with the 60 Kv motor and kept the same current settings you have now, it would increase the torque, but your motor woudl heat more, depending on where you ride, way more

2 Likes

If you are looking to gauge torque sorts objectively use this guy https://calc.3dservisas.eu/

It’ll
Give you torque values based on your setup. Granted there are other factors in play.

Nonetheless it’s a good baseline. You can also toggle between 4wd and 2WD and you’ll see the big difference it has.

EDIT: I’ve gone awd with 90kV and AT. I had zero issues whatsoever. Motors got hottter a bit faster than thane which I expected but the torque was still better than a 2WD with thane… again personal experience but doable. I would recommend 4wd with DDs until tested with 2WD at a low kV.

1 Like

I’m just thinking about going down the TB 75kV direct drive path to build an Evo downhill powers slide beast.

Component failure could be catastrophic. Should I consider belts??

1 Like

I have a set of mk2 elofty direct drives that I recently rebuilt. These are the 60kv even with 150mm airless I can go up hills. I have also have a set of eovan direct drive with the pinwheel adaptors and the 150mm pneumatics with pinwheel fitting. the torque is hopeless. The only thing I can do with this setup is buy another eovan direct drive with pinwheels and go 4x4. Eovan warned me when I ordered it wasn’t recommended and the pinwheels adaptors for their DD was more for their 105mm bacon strips.

Hi Everybody,

I am interested in a lightest possible approx. 250W direct drive to be used as a controlled brake unit.

I came across these skateboard motors and I do not understand their (1500W - 2000W) output.

Can you please tell what is these motors’ sustainable /continuous power ?

If you can recommend to me on any good such small and light motors, that will be appreciated!
(can the motor housing be made of carbon fiber?)

Thanks!!
J

Hi guys,

I’ve got a 3wd 58kV elofty DD (first ever batch) board which used to be 4wd, running on Trampa UrbanThreads 6.5" tyres. The motor in question lasted for about 5 miles (I haven’t ridden the board since obviously)

In the likely event that I won’t be able to fix it, and given that I enjoyed every single second riding the board when it was running will all four motors, I’d like to replace this with more of the same, but better.

Which DD should I go for?

Pic for attention.

5 Likes

Hello
All DDs have problems
A few months ago I would have advised to go the Torque Board road but it looks like there’s more and more problems with them :roll_eyes:
You have the ‘Elofty’ third’Gen but I also read some have problems
Not helping at all, sorry
My Gen 2 seems to hold but I’m lightweight and I don’t ride a lot.

BTW what’s happening with your drive? You hear a sound, it’s locked…?

4 Likes

Not locked yet but there’s a “step” in the rotation that sounds rough af. I’m disassembling the rest of the unit today and I’ll see what else I can find

1 Like

Well if that’s not one of the bearings then either magnet bits are crunching in the gap or stator wires grinding what else is left

1 Like

This is terrible news Ricardo. Back in the day @BillGordon was a bit of an elofty aficionado so he may be able to offer you support.

2 Likes

Still have to take the screws from the back and check the other bearing, but the outer bearing looks ok, and so do the magnets. Watch this space.

Maaaan, I’ve never ridden anything better than this board when it was working :disappointed_relieved:

When you’ve got the end off the drive the can has nothing to centre it so will be pulled to the magnets I’m guessing. Not necessarily out of line.
There’s info somewhere I think on the elofty thread on how to do a complete teardown of these. Did you find that?

3 Likes

Yeah, you’re probably right. Really need to complete the inspection to be able to draw any conclusions.

I saw the guide, but the tiny screws are a bitch to get out (had to drill two of these out so far) and so far have been unable to get the motor out of the axle…

Hopefully today I’ll manage!

1 Like

Watch out for the tiny bits of swarf from drilling out any screws jumping into the magnets…
Good luck!

1 Like